Sick Day- Sam Wilson

I've been fighting a cold the last several days and in between taking medicine and blowing my nose, I was inspired to write a sick day one-shot. Hope you like it. There may some light innuendo in this one.

You woke up one morning not exactly feeling your best; in fact it was quite the opposite. Your nose was stuffy and your body felt unusually warm. When you stood up from bed, you instantly felt dizzy. You had been expecting this since yesterday, when your throat started feeling a little scratchy, but it didn't make what your feeling right now less insufferable. You head to the bathroom and take your temperature which came back as 100.7. Despite this you were still determine to go to work. You were a stubborn person and weren't about to let something like the common cold stop you from earning a hard day's wage.

Right when you were finished struggling to get dressed for work, you hear your friend and secret crush Sam Wilson knock on your door. "It's open, Sam," you croaked out. "Hey, (y/n), you okay? you don't sound like yourself," he observes as he opens the door. "I'm fine," you assure him, "Just a little cold is all." "Doesn't feel like just a cold to me," Sam says as he places a hand on your forehead. "Sam," you say more sternly, "I told you I'm fine. Just a little Tylenol and some cold water and I'll-" you break out in a coughing fit, "I'll make it just fine today," you cough and sneeze some more. "Nah-uh," Sam quips, "Your staying here, your in no condition to go anywhere today." "Sam," you whine. "I'm going to have to insist," he helps you back to bed, "don't worry, you can call in sick and I'll play nurse to you today." "Nurse?" you chuckle, "Wouldn't you prefer to play doctor instead," you weren't aware of the innuendo you just spat out and Sam wasn't quite sure how to respond to that. "I'll let that slide since your probably delirious with fever but last I checked it was against the law to impersonate a doctor." You laugh at that. "Heh you're always so funny, Sammy." "Alright, sweetheart," he pulls a blanket over you to help you get comfortable, "you just stay here and let me do the hard work today." "Wait don't you have to work today too?" you ask him concerned. "Don't worry about it," he assures you, "I have the next couple days off."

The rest of the day, after calling in sick at work, Sam stood by your bedside waiting on you hand and foot. He made you chicken soup, made sure you took your medicine, and also made sure you had plenty of tissues, water, and blankets. 

Later that day you laid on the couch next to Sam while the two of you watch your favorite show on Netflix.  "Sam," you start, "I don't want to sound ungrateful, I mean I appreciate everything your doing for me, but I have to ask why did you go through the trouble to take care of me?" "Hey, it was no trouble at all, (y/n)," he assures you. "Well it's just that it's your day off and you pretty much gave up your day for me." "I didn't give up anything," Sam replies patting your knee, "your my friend and I wanted to take care of a friend." "Funny," you say, "when Barnes was sick, you practically placed a quarantine around the whole floor he stays on." "That's different," he retorts back, "he's a super soldier, who knows what kind of super bugs super soldiers get that could be contagious." you break out laughing followed by another round of coughing fits. "Sounds like it's time for you to take your medicine again," Sam heads to leads to the bathroom and you take what you need from the medicine cabinet. "Yeah you definitely do best as nurse than a doctor," you say, "nurses require better bedside manners than doctors." "I prefer to think I could have made it either way," he chuckles. "Hmm, your probably right." you start to feel tired. "Looks like we should get you back to bed," Sam carries you to bed, you didn't bother to protest since you didn't feel like taking another step; even if it was only a few feet from the bed. As Sam tucks you in you start to feel bold in your fevered state, "This might be the fever talking," you say, "but I want to let you know, Sam Wilson, I like you more than just a friend." Before Sam could even respond to that, you were already deep in sleep.

When you woke up the next morning, you felt better, you took your temperature again and noticed your fever had broken. You walk into the living room to find Sam sleeping on the couch. "Sam?" you ask which woke him up, "I  thought you would have left by now." Sam groggily sits up on the couch "I wanted to make sure you were better," he grunts in response, "I'm better enough to where I can make us both breakfast," you say. "Why don't I make breakfast?" "How about we both make breakfast together?" you suggest. "Sounds good to me."

"Did you really mean it, (y/n)?" Sam asks as you mix together batter for waffles. "What do you mean?" you ask back confused. "Don't you remember what you said last night?" "Uh," you think back to last night, "not really, the last few moments before falling asleep are a bit of a blur." "Well," Sam explains, "in those last few moments you told me you liked me more than just a friend and so I ask again did you mean what you said?" You looked at him and then turn away in embarrassment, your face blushing red. "I-uh," you stutter, "I-uh...Okay fine I did mean it," you confess, "hey, you don't have to feel embarrassed." He pats your back, "If you've been feeling this way why didn't you say anything?" "I wasn't sure if you felt the same way," you reply, "and if you didn't I didn't want to ruin our friendship by making things awkward between us." "Oh." was all Sam could respond. "Do you feel  the same way?" you ask shyly. "Well, why don't I take you out to dinner once you feel 100% better and find out then?" Sam grins "That might work," you reply, "first let's finish making these waffles."