Trying New Things- Vision

I was watching this scene from Civil War where Vision was cooking for Wanda and he admits he hasn't actually tasted food before. So this inspired me to write a one-shot where the reader persuades him to try new things. No warnings come to mind but I guess this would be considered cute.

You were sitting on the couch watching reruns on Netflix since there was nothing else to do at the Avenger's facility and you hadn't had to go on any missions lately. Something sweet catches your nose so you decide to follow it to the kitchen. As you attempt to deduce what that smell is you spot Vision by the stove putting ingredients together while reading from a cookbook.

"Hey, Vision," you say as you approach the stove and look into the pot he was using to cook, "What are you making?" you ask as you move to look over his shoulder at the cookbook he was reading from. "I am attempting to make rice pudding," was his reply. "I thought I could smell something sweet all the way from the lounge," you say then take a spoon, "May I?" "Of course." You take a little bit of the rice pudding from the pot and give it a taste, half-expecting it to be sweet and amazing. However, that was not the case and you attempt to hide the grimace that crept up on your face, "Uh, it's an interesting flavor," you try to sound positive. "Is it not good?" Vision asks somewhat nervously. "Well it's a unique twist flavor-wise I suppose," you put the spoon down. Wanda did warn you Vision is not the best cook but you didn't want to hurt his feelings. "Forgive me, (y/n), that was my first attempt at making such a dish." "It's okay," you reassure him, "Not everybody gets it right the first time around." You take a look at the ingredients he used to make the dish. "Vision, I don't want to come off as insensitive but I feel like I need to ask. Have you ever tasted any of the dishes you make? Or any kind of food for the matter." "No," was Vision's reply, "I have never actually tasted food before." "How come?" you ask. Vision takes a moment to think about the reason, "I suppose because humans usually eat when they are hungry but I have never really felt hunger before. Therefore, I haven't felt the need to actually taste food." "Humans don't always eat because they're hungry," you tell him, "The other reason is because they enjoy the flavors. Those two things kind of go hand-in-hand." "I see," Vision responds, "People need to eat but they also need to enjoy the experience of eating." "Exactly. What don't I help you try different foods. We can put it on the list of new things to try." "I'm not sure," Vision thinks on it. "It's good to try new things," you persuade, "And I really think it would help with your cooking skills; it would give you an idea of what people would expect if you tried them yourself." "If you say so, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try," Vision gives in. "Great," you say excitedly, "I'm going to go shopping. I'll be back in about one hour, hour and a half tops."

--------------Time Skip---------------------------

You head to the kitchen after your trip from the supermarket, bags in hand. As you organize the different foods and spices you purchased, Wanda walks in. "What are you doing, (y/n)?" Wanda asks in a curious manner. "Oh, hi Wanda," you acknowledge her presence, "I have decided to organize food based on intensity of flavor." "Why?" she asks again looking through the contents of the bags. "Well it just so happens Vision wanted to try something new and discover what food tastes like." That got Wanda's attention right quick. "That's something I've been wanting to talk him into for a while now," she admits. "Is it because of his cooking?" you ask which earns a chuckle from her. "I'll definitely stick around then, I wouldn't want to miss the look on his face." "Why don't you go get him while I finish getting everything together?" You suggest.

By the time Wanda leads Vision to the kitchen, you had everything set out on the table in different containers. "You certainly go out of your way to make an impression, (y/n)," Vision comments. "I just wanted this first time experience tasting to be as authentic as possible," you say as Vision takes a seat at the table. "So basically I have all these foods set out based on intensity and simplicity." you explain as you motion your hand across the table, "In general there are five basic tastes most people recognize: sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and savory; personally I think there should be six if you were count spicy. Anyways, I thought the best way to start is trying some of the wholesome, basic foods such as fruits and vegetables." You open two containers, one with an assortment of vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, and celery, etc. and the second container contained fruit such as sliced apples, oranges, berries, etc. Vision slowly reaches his hand into the first container and takes out a carrot. You and Wanda watch with anticipation as he take the first bite. "Alright," you tell him, "Now close your eyes and focus on the flavor. Think about how it makes you feel." Vision does as you instruct and opens his eyes once he swallows the carrot. "It is very interesting, this experience," he admits, "Although I must confess I am not sure how this particular flavor makes feel." "Well it's only one thing you've tried so far, Vis," Wanda quips. "She's right," you agree, "Why don't you try this?" you hand the second container with the fruits, and he takes out some blueberries. After he finishes them, he looks at you and Wanda, "That was a little more intense than the last," he explains, "And, I can't say for sure," but I felt like I wanted to try some more." "That's a good sign," Wanda smiles.

You continue to open containers for Vision to try from fruits to meats to different breads and cheeses. As he became more and more intrigued with each bite of food he tried, you introduce him to some more complicated dishes, such as sandwiches, soups, salads, an assortment of pasta and meat-based dishes. You even got him to try desert-based dishes such as cookies, cakes, pies, and ice cream. As Vision went through each dish, he would tell you how each one made him feel; some dishes he surprisingly liked a lot, others not so much, which was to be expected.

"Okay, Vis," you conclude, "This will be the last dish to try for today but it comes in two different forms." you set out two containers with rice pudding. "Why are there two of them?" Vision asks curiously. "Well," you begin, "Just try them both, tell me which one you prefer, and I'll explain afterwards." Vision takes a spoon and tastes from the first container; by the look on his face you were pretty sure he was liking it. When he goes for the second container, the facial expression was different; it wasn't complete disgust, but more like a look of uncertainty. "I think I know what you were thinking when you came up with this idea," he observes. "The second container is what I made isn't it?" "What?" you try to act innocent, "What makes you say that?" "Well, I remember the facial expression you made when you tried it for the first time, and then I remember what sweet dishes I grew fond of from the previous samples. Frankly, after tasting what I just made, I think I would have made that face as well had I known what to expect." Wanda chuckles and takes Vision's hand in hers. "It's nothing to be ashamed of," she assures him, "It's a sign that you're learning." "What did you think about this experience, Vision?" you ask as you start to put away the containers. "I found it most fascinating," was his reply, "I would to very much try it again sometime in the near future." "We can do it again tomorrow if you want," you say. As you put away the last container, Vision takes it from your hands, "If you don't mind I would like to some more of this," he says shyly. "Go ahead, no one's stopping you," you smile.          

After that day let's just say Vision's cooking did improve significantly in the kitchen; he even became adventurous in combining various dishes and even developing new recipes.