Shadows of the Past- Steve Rogers

This was requested by CaptainAustria who asked for a one-shot where the reader works for HYDRA and fights Steve, but doesn't recognize him until she kicks his helmet off.

A bit angsty I guess. Enjoy.

You had your orders, you were all geared up and ready to fight. The objective was plain and simple, take Captain America out of the fighting gamer permanently. You asked no questions, you voiced no opinion; just the way HYDRA conditioned you to be.

After the war, after hearing that your two friends had died in battle, and one of those friends was your long time neighbor and childhood crush, you wanted to step up and make a difference in the world. You trained under Peggy Carter, who was more than happy to have another woman join her line of work in a time when women were highly discouraged from doing what the two of you did.
You did well and you were learning so much, but that all changed when a mission you went on went completely of the rails. You're not sure how, and frankly it's mostly a blur to you now, but you found yourself in the clutches of HYDRA. From then on, every decision, every choice you could ever make was stripped away from you as HYDRA placed under training that was akin to that of the Winter Soldier.
Under the Soldier's shadow, you succeeded in every mission, every kill, anything you were demanded of, you accomplished it without hesitation. Everyone that ever mattered to you thought you were dead, and if you ever attempted to make any personal contacts, then those same loved ones would become dead as well. It took a decade or so, but eventually you became numb to it all; the killings, the beatings, the punishments, the being put under ice, everything.

Upon the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D., when it became clear that the Winter Soldier had failed to complete his mission, it was now up to you to pick up where he left off.
At this moment in time, the Captain had gone an undercover mission with Falcon and the Black Widow. It took some time, but you finally managed to pick up the scent and track them down.

You located the trio at a safe house somewhere in Canada. It was dark by the time you arrived. This would be easy; all you'd have to do is sneak in when everybody was asleep, make your way into the Captain's room and shoot him in his sleep. If any of his friends hear or see you, then they would simply become collateral damage.
At least that was how the plan was suppose to go. When you sneak into his room, you pull the sheets off, fully expecting the man to be sound asleep. That wasn't the case as underneath the sheets was nothing but pillows. They knew you were here, your mission was compromised.

Quickly you dart out of the room and make your way through the corridor towards the exit. That was when you felt someone or something whack you across the head, causing you to fall sideways towards the wall.
You quickly get back on your feet to face your foes, who were already in their fighting gear; the Captain had his helmet on.

"Look like we need to get better lock for this place," Falcon comments, "for a safe house, this place really isn't so safe?" "Who are you, what do you want?" Natasha questions. You don't answer, you just merely face the man with the helmet on. Taking a device from your belt, you smashed it to the floor, creating a smoke screen to both conceal your movement and separate the team. 

While the three heroes were recovering from the disorientation, you lunge at Captain America and tackle him to the ground. You pull out a knife, ready to slide it across his throat, but Cap recovers long enough to kick you off him. You quickly get back on your feet and pull out a pistol and shoot. Cap dodges and makes it for his shield which he uses to block the bullets and slam you against the wall. You push him back just enough to jump back into the smoke.

Right as you did, another set of fists come after you belonging to the Black Widow. You jump back, only to face off with the Falcon. The two of you engage in hand-to-hand combat. You were slowly gaining the upper hand but Falcon breaks out his wings and uses them to clear the smoke. The Black Widow jumps on top of you and tries to tie you up. You pull out your knife and cut the wires, and manage to stab her in the shoulder. You shove her away and go after the Falcon. Before you get one push in, Cap grabs you and hurls away from his comrades.