The 45 Mile Endurance Race Part 2

Here part 2 of the 2 part one-shot. Again there may be some swearing here and there. Enjoy.

As nightfall approached, the runners make their way to the checkpoint, each grabbing a stone tablet before running back to Queens. By the time you got to the checkpoint, you were practically heaving from your chest. "You okay, (y/n)," Wanda asks, tablet in hand. "Yeah, I'm fine," you say in between breaths, "I need to make a mental note to start using the treadmill more often...and possibly change my diet." "Hang in there, (y/n), you're half way there, I'll see you at the finish line," Wanda takes off running.

You see a stone tablet perched on a top a statue but you were reluctant to climb up and grab it. Seeing nobody was watching you decide to spread your wings but before you could take off you see a floating camera catch you, "You're not planning on breaking the rules, now are you, (y/l/n)?" You hear Fury's voice. "Of course not," you laugh nervously and fold your wings back up. You attempt to climb the statue but fall back down. You looked like you were about to give up, but a hand is extended to you with a tablet in hand. You recognized it to be Sharon. "Thanks, Sharon," you say taking the tablet from her, "I owe you one." "You'll owe me ten if you end up finishing last," she grins as she takes off in a sprint and you follow suit.

As the race continues, Pietro was still in the lead obviously with T'challa and Tony, with his new upgraded arms, in second and Natasha, Loki, and Thor battling for third and everyone else was brining up the rear. When Pietro got just far enough ahead, he decided to sit down and relax for a bit. There was no sense in rushing anything due to his super speed. Meanwhile as Sam keeps a steady pace, he feels a familiar presence run right past him. "On your left," Steve smirks as he passes Sam. "Ugh, really?" Sam groans. Just than Bucky passes him, "On your right, Wilson," Bucky smirks. "Not cool, guys! Not cool!" Sam exclaims as he attempts to pick up speed. "I wish I had my wings right about now," he mutters.

As dawn broke in the sky, the runners were just about to make the final stretch towards the finish line where Fury and Coulson were waiting. As you continue to run, you stop and see someone resting underneath a tree. Upon closer inspection you realized it was Pietro sleeping. "Pietro, what are doing lazing about when we're in the middle of race?" you scold as you shake the speedster awake. "Pietro, wake up!" you shout which pulled him from sleep. "Mmm, what? what's going on?" he groans in his morning voice. "In case you forgotten we're in the middle of a race here and last I checked you were suppose to be up ahead of everyone else at the finish line by now," you lecture some more. "What?! Is the race over?!" Pietro exclaims. "No," you reply, "but if you don't get your ass moving it will be." "Thanks for waking me up, (y/n), I'll owe you one when I make it to the finish line." he takes off full speed leaving you in the dust as you resume your run. Pietro runs as fast as he can, knocking out any runners in his way as he did so.

Meanwhile, as Queens was starting to come into view, Tony, Bucky, Steve, Thor, Natasha, and T'challa we're tied for first place. "I can see Queens all the way from here," Steve points out. "Out of the way, kids!" Tony exclaims, "If anyone's going to finish this race first it's gonna be me!" "Not if I can help it," Thor tosses his hammer aside in hopes of increasing his speed from the loss of the extra weight. The six continue to push in front of each other as the finish line came into view. Tony's arms shorted out, "Shit! Not again!" "Language, Stark," Steve scolds just to annoy Tony further as he starts to drag behind the others. "If you think I'm gonna let it end like this you're all crazy!" Tony shouts as he picks up speed in an effort to catch up. Right Behind them they see a sliver blur catching up to them. "Hey, isn't that Pietro?" Bucky asks confused. "What's speedy doing behind, I though he would have crossed the finish line hours ago," Natasha comments. "That would mean we have been competing for first place this whole time," Thor concludes. As Pietro starts to catch up, the six keep struggling to make it to the finish line. "This year's title is going to be mine!" they all said at once. Right when Pietro was about to overlap them, Tony trips and falls on Steve, causing him to fall and Bucky and T'challa, causing them to fall on Thor, Nat, and Pietro; a total wipe-out a mere four feet from the finish line.

As the seven runners attempt to come out of their daze, you show up right behind them. You close in, jog pass the fallen runners, and cross the finish line in first place, much to the audiences' surprise and your excitement. "I DID IT!" you exclaim, "I ACTUALLY WON!" You were so excited you finally spread your wings and fly high into the air. "WHOO!" "Congratulations, (y/l/n)," Fury compliments once your feet touch the ground. "I have to say you ran one hell of a race." "You have proven your skills in both endurance and improvisation," Coulson adds to the compliments as he shakes your hand. "You gotta be kidding me," Tony exclaims. "We just lost to the freaking newby," Bucky grumbles. T'challa notices Pietro wasn't whining or bitching about his loss. "I have to say, Maximoff, you are taking this better than I would have expected," he states to Pietro. "Well, she did wake me up from my nap earlier," Pietro replies, "It's only fair to let her win, but next time I won't be as careless."

Catching up were Fitz and Simmons who cross the finish line to take second and third place. "What the hell are we doing!" Tony exclaims. They turn around to see the rest of the avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents running up to the finish line with Sam and Loki in the front. "What's going on?!" Steve asks panicked. "Isn't it obvious?" Thor states. "If we don't cross the finish line before they do we'll have to play the punishment game!" Natasha shouts as the rest of the runners cross, trampling the seven as they do so. Well not all of them; Natasha, T'challa, and Steve managed to cross while the others were trampled by the runners leaving Thor, Bucky, Tony, and Pietro as the lasts ones left in the race. "Come on, Pietro, you have to cross the finish line!" Wanda tries to encourage her brother. The trampling left the four unable to stand, except for Pietro who was not about to finish last. As he takes off to run, Tony, Bucky, and Thor grab onto him as all four of them cross the finish line.

"And for the first time in S.H.I.E.L.D history, we a four way tie for last place," Coulson announces. "WHAT?!" the four exclaim in disbelief. Fury starts to smirk, "Well this turned out better than I would have hoped." "You mean we all get punished?" Pietro groans. "Oh, come on, Nick can't we at least run another race as a tie-breaker?" Tony pleads. "Quit complaining!" Fury orders, "There are no do-overs during missions nor will there be one for this. I expect better from you to face the consequences." "Very well then, director," Thor says with confidence, "Whatever punishment you have to offer I shall take it with my head held high." "That's good, I like to hear that," Fury smirks, "You're going to very much need that resolve for what I have in mind." Fury holds up an issue from People Magazine. "Is anyone else as confused as I am?" Tony asks. "Are we suppose to read the thing?" Bucky asks. "Oh, it's even worse than that," Fury could barely contain his excitement, "For the next monthly issue, People magazine will have nothing but embarrassing glamor shots of you idiots. An do-all tell-all deluxe 30-page spread complete with up close and deeply personal interviews." 'WHAT?!" the four exclaim again.

"Wait, you're saying if I lost the race, I could have been on a magazine?" Daisy questions in disbelief. "Ooh, I can't wait for the next issue," Wanda smirks, "I'm so looking forward to what they have to say about my brother." "I'll be looking forward to what they have to say about my brother," Loki grins. "I can't wait to see what they to say about Barnes," Sam quips which made Steve chuckle. "I'll destroy every copy!" Bucky exclaims. "If you gentlemen will follow me, the interviewers from People Magazine are here to get your costumes picked out," Coulson tells them. Right away Tony, Bucky, Thor, and Pietro take off running again, no one bothered to try and stop them. "I'm surprised they can still run like that after the race," Yo-yo comments. "Seems like they weren't giving it their all either," May chides in, "I have to say I'm rather impressed." "What do you mean by either?" Mack glares at May.

You run up to Fury. "Director," you begin, "While being the new champion is great and all, don't I win a prize or anything like that? Maybe a trip somewhere, a prize check, or I'd even settle for a gift card." "You already won a prize, (y/l/n)," Fury replies, "You have bragging rights and the satisfaction that you gave your all to win the race, that's far greater than any material prize." "Oh...well that feels like kind of a rip-off," you mutter, "Oh well, at least I can fly again," You spread your wings and take off in search for the nearest burger joint since all that running made you hungry for fast food.

The end