No Regrets- Steve Rogers

Another requested one shot this time by quacksonthomas0 who asked for a Steve one shot where Steve and the reader are in a relationship, got in a fight, they didn't make up before reader goes a mission, and I'll write in the rest.

Some fluff, some angst. Enjoy.

"Okay, I'm ready to go," you announce as you approach the quinjet in the hangar. "You sure you want to do this?" Natasha asks with slight concern, "this mission is particularly high risk, everybody needs a clear and focused mind to not get killed." "My mind is as clear and focused as it can be," you assure, "believe me, from here on out, I'm on a one goal track."

"Okay, if you're sure," Nat nods, still somewhat skeptical. "So Cap ain't seeing you off like he usually does," Clint observes. "Yeah, apparently not," you sarcastically huff, "guess he had more important things to take care of."

-------flashback-------

"Steve! Steve!" you happily exclaim as you run into the arms of your loving boyfriend of two years. "Hey, doll," Steve pulls you into his arms, taken aback somewhat by your exciting demeanor, "Sounds like somebody had a great day."

"Oh no, today was fairly mundane," you admit, "But I do have some good news."

Most of your days as a S.H.I.E.L.D trainee mostly consists of you doing drills and filing paper work, but today would change things for you. "So what's the good news?" "Well, after spending some training at S.H.I.E.L.D, I finally have the opportunity to go on my very first mission," you answer, excitement laced in your voice. "Oh," Steve merely responds, you oblivious to his shift in tone, "That's...you must really be looking forward to it." "Well I am a little nervous," you admit, "but Natasha and Clint will be going with me on this one, so you won't need to worry about me getting hurt or nothing."

-----------End of Flashback--------

"So how long is this mission exactly?" you ask in a monotone voice. You knew, from the debriefing, that the mission had something to do about recovering some ancient artifact that was stored in some A.I.M warehouse that was located in a dense forest, but you didn't know the duration that mission  should take.

"It's about a day or two," Natasha answers. "Yeah with our luck, two days may stretch to two years." Clint scoffs in a sarcastic tone, making you more nervous then you were. "Clint, don't scare the kid," Nat scolds, "Don't worry (y/n), you won't be assigned to any of the lengthy missions, not until you gain more hands-on experience with field work." "Well that's reassuring," you breathe out.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Nat presses, "Did you and Cap have a fight or something?" "What?" "Don't deny it," Nat lightly warns, "(y/n), we've known each other for awhile, even before you've taken an interest to Steve. I know when things aren't going your way."

"I...I don't know," you admit, "Steve and I had a fight, and now...I honestly don't know where we are in our relationship. He just...it's like he doesn't even realize that this is my career."

-------Flashback------

"I don't even know why we're even having this conversation," you exclaim, "I'd thought you'd be happy that I'd be going on this mission." "It's not about happiness (y/n)," Steve argues, "in case you didn't know, these missions can be extremely dangerous, and if I'm not there, how am I suppose to protect you."

"I've been in similar situations before I joined S.H.I.E.L.D, believe or not. It never seemed to bother you before, and you're constantly getting shot at by HYDRA agents-" "I was trained for that," Steve bluntly interrupts, "you on the other hand haven't faced these kind of people before."