Beautiful- T'challa

This idea I've been sitting on for awhile, but it seemed like a good time to write it down for Black History Month. It's kinda inspired from recent episodes of Mixed-ish and Black-ish that centered around Black hair.

So the reader is Black, she's married to T'challa, they have a couple children of their own, and they spend some time at the reader's old home that's definitely NOT in Wakanda. The kids are introduced to the concept of straightening their natural hair, which is a bit of a sore subject to the reader because of history.

(y/s/n)= your sister's name

(y/d/n)= your daughter's name

(y/yd/n)= your younger daughter's name

Enjoy. And all hair is beautiful hair.

It was that time of the year again. Summer. Which meant you, your daughters and your husband T'challa have carried out the annual family tradition of leaving your home in Wakanda and visiting your sister for a month. It seemed like a long time, but your sister was happy to play host if it meant spending time with her nieces, i.e the princesses of a rich and powerful nation.

"Mama," your twelve year old daughter tries to get your attention as you sit in the armchair, reading a book. "Mama," she tugs on your sleeve. "Yes, sweetie?" you ask, putting your book down, "You're back early, did you and (y/yd/n) have a good time in town today?" "Well yeah," (y/d/n) nods, though it looked like she had more to say. "Something wrong?" you press.
"Do you think my hair looks messy?" she asks, getting to the point. "Uh, why do you ask that?" you ask a little confused. "Well, me and (y/yd/n) were in town with Auntie (y/s/n) earlier today, at the farmer's market" (y/d/n) explains, "and we bought some hand made soaps from this stand, and the lady who was running it said my hair looked good, but...but it could look better if it wasn't so messy."

At this point you had your daughter's undivided attention; from your point of view, and from Wakanda's point of view, yours and your daughters' natural hair was anything but messy or unkempt, or any of the others words that have been used in your childhood to describe your hair. This was something you hoped neither of your kids would be exposed to, but visiting outside their home, it was bound to happen eventually.

You wanted so badly to march to that farmer's marker and confront the lady that told your eldest daughter her hair wasn't good enough which could potentially give said daughter a complex about what good hair is supposed to look like. Okay maybe you might be overreacting, but nevertheless, it was important your child understands that her hair is beautiful.

Later that day, everyone had settled down for dinner. Your sister cooked this time, which no one could complain too much (except her meatloaf was a little on the dry side tonight). "So," T'challa was the first to speak, addressing the kids, "Did you two enjoy spending time with your Auntie in town today?" Both kids nod in response. "They sure did," you agree, "Although, apparently someone thought it was perfectly acceptable to tell my (y/d/n) here her hair is messy."
"What? Who?" (y/s/n) perks up at attention, looking to (y/d/n), "Sweetheart, when did this happen." "It...it was when we were at the farmers market," (y/d/n) admits, "I didn't think this would be a big deal, I didn't really spend that much time brushing it this morning." "Well you could've always asked me to do your hair for you like I do your sister," T'challa offered, looking to (y/yd/n), "Right, (y/yd/n)?" (y/yd/n) had a certain look on her face that said differently, "Uh, I love you, Baba, but...," she twirls her ponytail a little, "I'm starting to think you're kind of a one trick pony with hair."
It was true T'challa didn't really have much of the know-how with longer hair save with what he could do with a ponytail.

"Mama, I'm a little confused, "(y/d/n) admits, "Why is this a problem?" You weren't sure what to say; compared to your upbringing your kids lived a fairly sheltered life in Wakanda. They never had to face what you had to face growing up, people telling you your looks had to be up to certain standards in order to be considered beautiful and/or professional, one of those features being your hair.
Now it's also worth noting your daughters weren't blind, as they have been taught some about what life is like for people like them outside Wakanda, so maybe it was time to talk a little bit more about this subject to them.