I'll Be By Your Side- Tony Stark

I watched Iron Man 3 the other day and I was thinking how Tony's PTSD is overlooked at times, so I thought I might address it. Since PTSD affects people differently I'm going to issue a trigger warning.

It was the middle of the night, and you felt something shake the bed. You reluctantly turned around to see your boyfriend Tony sleeping and thrashing all over the place. You place your hand on his shoulder and attempt to wake him up.

"Tony? Tony," you call to his thrashing form. Nothing. Wouldn't even so much as open an eye. The thrashing continued and even started to get worse. You shake him harder "Tony!" You start to shout. Tony finally jolted awake. You breath in a collected sigh of relief, which was only short-lived when you saw the terror in Tony's face. You wrap your arms around him as he rest his head against your chest; you could feel him struggle to take deep breaths.

This was the third night this week Tony was jolted up from a nightmare. Since you started dating Tony, he did seem to have moments of anxiety; panic attacks as a result of experiencing a flashback. When you and him began to share a bed, it was a common occurrence for Tony to thrash in his sleep and bolt wide awake in terror. It was hard on you those nights too, since the wild thrashing tended to wake you up. You did your best to remain calm and support Tony, but it wasn't always easy; especially when he would shut you and everyone else out, not wanting to explain what was going on in his mind.

Tonight, as you held him, you rub his back as he tried to calm down. "Everything okay now, Tony?" you ask once his breathing and heartbeat were at a normal rate. He shakes his head yes. "I'm fine," he tries to assure you with a unsteady voice, "It was just a bad dream. Please go back to sleep, (y/n), I'm sorry I woke you."

"Please talk to me about it, sweetie," you try to console. He only shakes his head and turns around to avoid your gaze. You turn him back to face you, not planning on letting this man shut you out tonight, "Tony," you say sternly, followed by an almost pleading tone, "Please, I want to help, but I can't if you don't communicate." "I'm sorry, babe," he said genuinely. "It's...I just...sometimes I keep forgetting I have someone to talk to about these things." "You have me, you have Rhodey, and you also have J.A.R.V.I.S. Look I get it, you've saved the world multiple times, you've seen things because of it, and these traumatizing events are not something you just forget in one sitting. Thousands of people deal with this everyday, and I know it affects everyone differently...including you."

You pull him closer, "I know you shutting people out is your way of coping but if I'm being honest I'm not entirely sure if it's the healthiest thing in the world." "Probably not," Tony admits, "But I just don't know any other way." The two of you stay that way in silence for a long time. Eventually the two of you lay back down; he snuggles into you, resting his head on the curve of your neck. "I see you dying in my nightmares half the time," he confesses, "You are within arms reach of me saving you, but then something terrible happens. I was so close and yet so far. I worry the exact same thing will happen to you in real life, and I guess it's part of why I isolate myself during these times." You hum in understanding. "Tony, if something bad happens you know I can take care of myself," you assure him. "I know," Tony says, "but still I can't help but worry."

"I worry about you too,"  you confess back. "About something bad happening to me?" he asks. "Well, yes," you admit, "But I worry someday you'll isolate yourself completely and never come out of it; Not just isolate yourself from me but from everyone; your friends, and I'm pretty sure even J.A.R.V.I.S.," Tony laughed lightly at that, "it's why I want you to talk to me Tony, and no matter how long you keep having these nightmares and panic, I want to let you know I'll always be by your side."  To prove it you kiss him on the head. He kisses you back in response.

The kissing continues for a little while longer before the two of you fall back to sleep. After that night, Tony was more about his nightmares and panic attacks. He'd still shut himself out, but it wasn't as frequent as it used to be. True to your word, you continued to stay by his side and support him during his nightmares.