The One I Couldn't Save- Nick Fury

Not too long ago I had to put my dog to sleep. She was suffering and there wasn't anything I could do to help her. I write this one-shot as a tribute to her while simultaneously touching on Fury's soft side that most people seem to overlook. This will be a sad one-shot, mentions of death, and actual depictions of euthanizing. The reader also has the ability to communicate with canines
It's pretty sad, frankly I teared up a few times trying to write this.

(Y/d/n): your dog's name

-----------------------Flashback-------------------

"Come one, girl," you call out for your dog as you and her walk down the streets of DC. Your canine companion follows you on what appeared to be a normal day. Unbeknownst to you, a certain director of S.H.I.E.L.D was driving on the same streets that day.
Unbeknownst to him, something big was about to happen.

While you and (y/d/n) were walking by the street said director was driving on, you suddenly hear a loud crash. A couple police cars had rammed into a black vehicle. More came and started to open fire on the car. The man in the car fought back as the rogue cops attempted to get inside the car.
You felt you needed to do something to help as more police cars came to on the scene, the feeling felt mutual to the man in the car drove away, the rogue police went after him. You and (y/d/n) made short work of slashing the tires to slow the cops down.

The cop cars that didn't get their tires slashed took off in pursuit, but hopefully the eye-patched man was able to get away.

------------The Present--------
It started off as a normal morning like any other morning at S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. You and (y/d/n) were doing your usual morning routine: eating breakfast, taking her glucosamine pills to help with her joint problems, and giving her a few pets and scratches behind the ears.

Before you ran into Fury three years ago, it was just you and your dog, (y/d/n). You found her as a puppy, abandoned as the runt of a litter of nine, and you took her in as your own after a little convincing from your parents.
Since then the two of you were inseparable. (Y/d/n) had taken to everyone else in your family, but she bonded with you the most, most of it having to do with your special ability to communicate with dogs. She was always the first one you saw whenever you woke up in the morning or came home; whenever you had a crappy day at school or at work, all you had to do was come home and she would make everything better for you.
She was always a tuned with your emotions. Her favorite place to go was to the lake since she loved to swim. There you would throw a stick in the water and she would fetch it. On lazy days she'd let you lay your head on her like a pillow; her fur was always so soft and warm.

She always went with you wherever you'd go; like that day in DC for example, the day you met Nick Fury.

-------------Flashback-----------
Later that evening you and (y/d/n) were in your apartment, when (y/d/n) started growling and barking. You turn to the window where she was barking and see a suspicious looking  figure attempt to crawl into the open window.
"Call off the hound," the voice demands. Still feeling uneasy, you press your finger to your lips to quite the dog.

In through the window came the same eye-patched man you saw earlier. "Hey, I know you, sorta," you point, "what are you doing here?" "I meant to crawl inside Captain America's apartment right in the floor above," the man explained, "but I have a feeling I'm being watched."
Once he crawls inside you take a quick peak outside the window; sure enough there did appear to be a suspicious black clad character right across the street. "Why come in here though?" You frown, "and more importantly, have I've been living underneath THE Captain America this whole time?" "I saw what you did today," he answers, "you and the mutt  there seem to be trustworthy, and that's not something I hand out lightly." "Oh, I'm flattered," you say, "why were those guys after you?" "I don't have a lot of time to answer that," he says, opening your front door, "but I just hope we can all make it out of this one alive." "Wait," you call out, "I didn't even catch your name," (y/d/n) whines in agreement. "For now, it's best I don't say," was the man's reply as he leaves.