Abandoned and Betrayed-Tony Stark

This one-shot is heavily inspired from BoJack Horseman, the episode where BoJack tried to make amends with his old friend Herb Kazzaz, but it didn't pan out the way BoJack expected it. I was thinking what if Tony had a friend like Herb who used to work with him at Stark Industries, but the two had a falling out after a scandal, and don't speak to each other until Tony found out said friend was dying and tries to make amends.

This story also is kinda like a sequel from my previous one-shot "Mending Bridges" and takes place in the form of flashbacks, with the present setting being after Endgame.

Language and angst.

-------Flashback: mid 1990s--------------

It was a normal day in the mid 90s as a young and newly appointed CEO of Stark Industries heads for his first day at work.
As a young man in his 20s, the pressure was on Tony Stark more then ever to pick up where his late father left before his sudden demise several years back. At his age, Tony should actually still be in college, starting grad school to be exact, but being a genius had some perks of getting ahead and earning several degrees from MIT before he could legally drink.

However, a working knowledge in physics and engineering along with a high IQ were no substitute in assuming the leadership role in a highly successful tech company. Which is something the young Stark would learn the hard way when first addressing the board of directors of Stark Industries.
Five minutes after the first meeting ended, Tony soon found himself at a bar drowning his disappointment; he had all these fresh new ideas and projects he was so eager to share with the board, partially to impress the board and to contribute in expanding Stark Industries, but none of the board members seemed all that enthused as he was.

As Tony was about to down his umpteenth drink, one guy steps up and stops him. Tony recognized him from the board meeting. He seemed a little older than Tony, but he was probably the second youngest one in the meeting. "What are you doing here?" Tony slightly slurs. "Well I was gonna tell you about those projects of yours you brought up at the meeting," the man tells him, "I wanted to say, for what's worth, I really liked them a lot." "Really?" Tony frowns a little. "Yeah," the man nods, "I think they could help turn Stark Industries into something for the new century, the new millennium to look forward to." "Tell that to everyone else at the meeting," Tony grumbles. "Hey, those dusty old geezers would love those new-fangled ideas of yours too," the guy says with enthusiasm, "the problem is, even though they have places at the table, they're not as smart as they would like to admit, not to mention they don't quite appreciate some young blood stepping in and acting like he owns the place." "Well it is my father's company, so I kinda do own the place," Tony points out. "You want them to approve, best way to go about it is dumb it down to their level, stroke their ego, and maybe make it seem like it's their idea."

"Why are you doing this?" Tony questions, "Why are you trying to help me out?" "I've been in at this game myself for awhile," the man admits, "And part of my job is looking after the little guy." "Uh, thanks," Tony says, meaning it, "Uh, you already know who I am, but uh, I didn't catch your name." "You can call me Herb."

-----------The Present------------

You were at Stark Industries with Pepper, Rhodey, and other people hosting a little gathering post memorial and statue unveiling of the late Tony Stark, Your son was with his father and step-mother for the day, so you had plenty of time to write out that speech for the unveiling portion.

Everyone just drank in toast to your father, your drink being non-alcoholic, of course, since you were still intent on being sober despite your father not being here anymore.
After the toast, people started mingling, exchanging conversation, talking about how much they were gonna miss Tony and what was going to happen to the company.
For the time being, Pepper was acting CEO of the company, a position you had were initially given in the will, but thought Pepper would be better suited for since she was better at talking and interacting with people then you. Also, you weren't sure how the board of directors would react to having the late Stark's semi-estranged daughter taking over the business. Didn't matter to you since you were never really interested in leadership positions to begin with, and you know Pepper will take this company further then you ever could.