Special Day- Steve Rogers

This one-shot was written in the spirit of Independence Day. Enjoy.

You woke up fairly early this morning.  With your boyfriend Steve out on a solo mission, you had plenty of time to get everything and everyone together for this special day.
By the time you finished breakfast and got dressed, the other members of the team were already up to start the day. You rounded them up in the lounge area for a meeting.

"Okay, everyone, I'm glad you all are here because I have an announcement," you speak up, "As you all know Independence Day is around the corner, and while that's a special day in of itself, it's special for another day too." "You're gonna start paying rent for living here, unlike the rest of you freeloaders?" Tony jokes. "You make that joke at least once every three months, Stark, it's still not funny," you flatly reply, "No. Today is Steve's birthday." The other Avengers went "ohhhh," when they heard the announcement. "This is also the first birthday I get to celebrate as Steve's girlfriend so I really want to make this extra special," you continue. "Ooh, so what's the game plan?" Natasha asks, curiosity peaked. "Well Steve is suppose to come back from his mission this afternoon, so I need you, Sam, and Bucky to keep him distracted while the rest of us get the cake, and all the decorations together," you explain, you make a stern glare at Sam and Bucky, "Can I count on you two to be on your best behavior for the sake of your friend?" "Hey, as long as metal man here doesn't start anything we're all good here," Sam throws his hands in the air, making Bucky glare at him.

With everyone given their assignments, the team broke to complete them. Tony, Rhodey, Bruce, and T'challa got the presents together and wrapped up, Peter, Scott, Clint, and Pietro worked on the decorations, and you, Thor, Wanda, and Vision worked on the cake. "You sure you don't want to order a cake instead?" Wanda asked as you got the ingredients from the fridge and the pantry. "Well we could," you reply, "But I think it would be more meaningful to Steve if we bake the whole thing from scratch. Besides," you pull out the large bag of candles, "Gotta make sure it'll be big enough to stick in one hundred candles." Wanda nods in understanding. "I have the exact recipe right here in this book," Vision shows you the cookbook. "It looks great and all, Vision," you tell him, "But that's not really the kind of cake I had in mind." "What makes you say that?" Vision asks. "Well for starters that's a recipe for a wedding cake," you point at the picture, "Much as I love Steve, I don't want to push him into something he's not yet ready for." "What about this one?" Thor takes another cookbook and shows you the recipe. "Hmmm," you study the picture, "I think it could work, although," you look at the ingredients on the table, "Something tells me we may need more ingredients for a group our size." "Say no more, I shall return," Thor twirls his hammer and takes off, but not before returning again to retrieve the cookbook."

Back in the lounge area, Scott used the ants to put up the streamers while Clint used his arrows to put other wall and ceiling decorations in the right place. Peter used colored webbing to decorate parts of the ceiling as well. "That is going to come off right?" Tony asks  when he came in to check up on their progress. "Don't worry," Bruce assures walking in, "the kid asked if it was okay, and I made a solvent that will take the webbing off afterwards." Right then Pietro, who had ran off not more then five minutes ago, came right back with bags filled with more part decorations, "Red, White, and Blue, as you all requested," he grinned as Tony and Bruce went back to help Rhodey and T'challa wrap the rest of the presents.

Natasha, Sam, and Bucky were waiting in the hangar by the time Steve came back. Once Steve come out of the quinjet, the three came to him with open arms. "You all are a tad bit affectionate today, what's the occasion?" Steve asks suspiciously. "Well what better way could we think of to welcome Captain America on his birthday?" Sam grins. "Oh right, today's my birthday, I forgot," Steve realizes. "How could you forget your own birthday, punk?" Bucky raises an eyebrow. "Oh, cut the old man some slack, he is a century old after all," Natasha smirks. "Very funny," Steve deadpans, "Actually, I've been a little distracted recently. I need to run an errand or two." "Great," Sam and Bucky tug him by the arm and drag him away from the facility, "We'll tag along in case your old man forgetfulness strikes again."

---------------------------

To the trio's surprise, the one place Steve took them to was a diamond store. "Uh, did your old man forgetfulness strike again while you meant to take us to sports store or something?" Sam frowns. "Nope," Steve simply answered, "I did mean to come here." As they walked inside, Steve wasted no time looking at the glass display of engagement rings. "Are you actually looking at engagement rings?" Bucky frowns. "Yep," Steve nods with a smile, "I plan on proposing to (y/n). I want to marry her." When Steve turned to look, the trio had shocked expressions laced on their faces. "Is something wrong?" Steve asks somewhat worried. "No, no," Natasha assures, "In fact, I think it's great. I think you two are perfect for each other." "Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprise you haven't proposed to her sooner," Bucky admits. "I've been thinking about it," Steve admits, "I really love her, and I know she's the one I want to be with."

At that moment, Natasha's phone went off. A text message came from you explaining that the your first attempt with the cake failed and you needed more time to bake it again. "Well in that case, I'll lend a hand in selecting the ring," Nat offers as a way to stall the birthday boy, "This sort of thing does require a woman's touch."

After hours of Natasha "helping" Steve browse through the rings, taking a little more time then necessary in order to stall, Sam's phone goes off. On it was a text message from you

(y/n): The shield has been polished

Which was code for everything was now in place for the party. Sam re-sends the message back to Nat. "You know what," Nat pulls Steve back after reading the message, "I think the first ring we looked at was the best choice, you should definitely buy that one for (y/n)."  Steve did as Nat suggested and purchased the ring.

---------------------

"Captain Rogers and friends are at the front door as we speak," Friday announces as you managed to get the last of the candles onto the cake. "Places everyone," you say with urgency as the team get into their hiding positions. 

"Why is it so dark in here?" Steve questions as they enter the building, "Did Tony blow a circuit from one of his experiments again?"

As they approached the lounge, Sam, Bucky, and Natasha had to do their best to contain their excitement. Once they walked, the lights came back on. "SURPRISE!" the whole team, minus you, jumped out and shouted, taking Steve by surprise. "Wha-what's all this?" he asks with shock and joy, "Did you three know about this?" he turns to Sam, Bucky, and Nat. "Happy birthday, punk," Bucky pats a hand on Steve's back. "Your girlfriend was the one who planned this whole thing," Clint quips. "Where is she then?" Steve asks. "Over here," you call out, walking into the lounge, holding a humongous cake covered in candles. "You didn't have to do all this, doll," he says shyly. "I wanted to," you say back, "Think of it as my way of showing how much I care about my boyfriend, Captain America."

"I have to admit I did forget about my actual birthday today," he confesses, making you nearly chuckle, "But I had a reason, and not because I'm so old now. There's something I've been wanting to do, and really I don't think I could think of a better time to do this."

Suddenly Steve gets down on one knee, making you and the other team members look at him in stunned surprise. He pulled out a small box, revealing the recently purchased engagement ring, "(y/n) (y/m/n) (y/l/n)," he begins, "Before I met you, I didn't think I would be able to love someone again, especially in this day and age. But you proved me wrong. And now I know without a doubt you're the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. So will you do me the honor and become my wife?" You were at a loss for words, so much so that all you could was nod, as happy tears started to flow from your eyes.

Steve happily spun you around and kissed you before placing the ring on your finger.
"Maybe we should have gone with the wedding cake after all," Thor chuckles in the background.

The rest of the day, the team celebrated Steve's birthday. He managed to blow out all 100 candles at the same time. Presents were unwrapped afterwards and when it got dark, the team climbed onto the roof to watch the fireworks.

It truly was a special day.