March 27, 2015

March 27, 2015

Jackie's POV

I walked in the front door after a long day at work. I noticed a small package on the coffee table in the living room. My phone buzzed in my pocket.

"Hey babe. Wont be home till 7. Go ahead and eat without me, and a package came for you. Left it on coffee table. Love you."

I smiled at the short text. I got out my pocketknife and tore into the package. What? You can never be too careful living in a city. I took out the envelope on top and opened it, careful not to rip its contents.

Dear Jackie,

Hi sweetie. I know I'm late, but this is your birthday present. I'v had it for awhile, I'v just been waiting to give it to you.

I stopped reading and took out the small black box. I opened it and took out the small silver ring. It has a green heart stone on it, two hands on ether side, and a crown on top. I slipped it on my ring finger, then continued to read.

I found out the other day that grandma (my mom) was originally from Ireland. This ring is called a Claddagh. The heart in the middle stands for love, the hands friendship, and the crown loyalty. My mom gave it to me when I turned twenty, but I didn't know what it meant. She just gave it to me and told me "You'll find out one day." So instead of doing that to you, I want to tell you about it. The ring is usually passed down to daughters from their mothers when they come of age. They are also used for engagement rings and wedding rings. There are different ways to wear it too.

1. Ont the right hand with the point of the heart toward the fingertips, the wearer is single and may be looking for love.

2. On the right hand with the point of the heart toward the wrist, the wearer is in a relationship.

3. On the left hand with the point of the heart toward the fingertips, the wearer is engaged.

4. On the left hand with the point of the heart toward the wrist, the wearer is married.

The stone is green because it's my birth stone. If you want to get it changed to yours, I don't mind. I hope you enjoy the ring, and happy belated birthday.

Love,
Mom

I smiled and looked at how the ring sat on my hand. I slipped it off and put it back on so it's now on my right hand and the point of the heart is toward my wrist. I cleaned up the mess I made then put the letter in my suitcase.

-

Niall is sitting on the couch next to me. He didn't ask about the package, and he hasn't noticed my ring yet. I'm going to keep the green stone in it cause I miss my mom, and it looks better green. We're watching some show called Big Brother. He says it's a good show. He promised to watch reruns of Friends and How I Met Your Mother if we watch this. The last episode ended, and we started the first episode of Friends. I remember coming home off the bus and watching the reruns of it on TBS. I held Niall's hand and started to play with his fingers. He suddenly grabbed my hand and looked at the ring.

"Where'd you get this?" He asked looking at it.

"This is what was in the package sitting on the coffee tale. It's a birthday present from my mom."

"My mum has one of these. It looks exactly like it, only her's doesn't have a green stone on it."

"Ya it's an Irish thing apparently. My mom said she just found out that my grandmother, her mom, was originally from Ireland. The only thing is she never told anyone. She wrote it down in a bible and my mom just found the bible." I had found out about the whole bible part by calling my mom to thank her for the ring.

"So wait, your Irish?"

"Ya. I'm half Italian, and half Irish."

"I never would'v guessed cause you look more Italian."

"I know right, but it's cool to find out things like this." He smiled and kissed my cheek.

"This is awesome. I'm Irish, and my girlfriend is too." I cuddled into his side as something happened with the chick and the duck. Phoebe said something I didn't catch, I was too busy looking up at my blonde babe. I'm so fucking lucky to have him. To think I used to be just a fan, then we became pen pals, then friends, then room mates, now he's my boyfriend. You always think that things like this just happen in fairy tales, or fanfictions, but if your lucky. They happen in real life too.