CHAPTER 5 - ALVES

Silvette, The Kingdom Of Alves [In the royal palace]
(20 years later after Nathaniel's birth)

"Oh, you are so nice. Your-"

"What are you doing here Jennifer?" Queen Rosalind Verdirosi asked her maid Jennifer with gritted teeth. While the latter just kept on sitting on her (Queen Rosalind's) husband's lap.

"I called her. Do you have any problem?" King Vladimir Verdirosi asked her wife with a blank expression.

Shaking her head sideways, she slowly started to retreat to her chamber.

"Do remember to close the door and next time knock before entering," King Vladimir ordered Queen Rosalind before dismissing her.

Queen Rosalind walked through the long corridors of the castle slowly, trying her best to keep her composure. But her eyes failed her, with each step they became more teary, till they gave way to her tears. Her whole  body shook with anger which was soon replaced by muffled sound of sobs.

This was nothing new for her, she had cried thousand times, thousand nights, yet every time the pain just came back. Affair such a small six letter word, but her life revolved around it.

It was no secret to her or the citizens of Alves about the numerous affairs that her husband had with maids, queens, princess', even with her own sisters. The most difficult part was to turn a blind eye to all this and accept it all like a present especially made for her.

King Vladimir Verdirosi's reputation as a casanova, a player was very well known to everyone. But, what could the Queen do? She was a mere puppet in the hands of her husband.

If she disobeyed, she would be crushed. Who was she to blame? Her own son was no better, a player and a drunkard. Her son - Prince Alfredo Verdirosi, the second-in-line to the throne, was a true replica of his father.

"Mother? Are you all right?"

Queen Rosalind looked up to the source of voice. She wished from all her heart that it would be her son Alfredo or Fred as she called him. But, little did she know it was him. She turned around to find her stepson Prince Nathaniel Verdirosi standing with a concerned face.

"Yes? I am all right," Queen Rosalind answered, wiping off all the traces of tears.

"When did you come back Nathaniel? You should have at least informed me, I would have made some preparations beforehand. By the way, you don't miss me do you or else why would you spend almost all your time away from me?"

"Mother, breathe. I came back right now and I am sorry but it was all decided at last moment and you know I really miss you. But, Mystic Falls is a beautiful place, much beautiful than the main city. Especially, when I don't have to see the face of Your Majesty every day and night."

"Nathaniel, he is your fathe--"

"I know but everyone knows how he is right? Personally, I don't think he deserves the respect that you shower him with. By the way where is he right now?"
Nathanial cuts off Queen Rosalind midway.

"Room."

Without further talk, Nathaniel bowed and disappeared in the corridors of the palace of Alves to go and greet his father.

"*CRASH*"

"Nathaniel!! What are you doing here? Where are your manners? At least knock!" King Vladimir scowled at the unexpected entrance of his son while he was on his 'business'. He quickly got dressed and dismissed the maid.

"I am sorry to disturb you. As for me being here, last time I checked this palace was my home also," Nathaniel mockingly replied while maintaining an eye contact with his father.

"Of course, it is. You can come and stay whenever you want."

"That I am well aware of."

With that Prince Nathaniel started to retreat.

"Where  are you going now?"

"I just came to announce my arrival," Prince Nathaniel answered while smirking, leaving behind a scowling King.

Prince Nathaniel and King Vladimir, though son and father, never liked each other for many reasons, most important being their thinking process. While King Vladimir Verdirosi was a total player and party person, his eldest son Prince Nathaniel Verdirosi was no where near it. King Vladimir treated women like mere toys for his enjoyment (as most men of Alves did). On the other hand, Nathaniel respected them and even helped them in their state of misery.

These were not the only differences between the King and his son. The two looked totally different, while the king had blonde hair and amber eyes, the latter had brown hair and green eyes.

Not only did their outlook, behaviour and features differ, their personality and thinking were on another level too, resulting in mutual hatred. While Nathaniel wanted the kingdom to prosper along with proper changes, beneficial for the society. The king's main concern was only power and wealth.

Their hatred was not an unknown fact. The ministers and nobles of the Alves were also aware of it, but decided to keep their mouth shut as it was in their best interests.

Such was the royal politics of the Kingdom of Alves.
Such were the royalties of Alves...

************************************************************

Finally, Prince Nathaniel is on board!! Now, things are going to get intense. I am so excited!! Thanks to all my readers for giving this book a chance.

By the way, any suggestions for Prince Nathaniel's cast? He has green eyes and brown hair. Please do comment.

Till the next update, keep shining ;)
- Love Addy :)

P.S. This chapter is dedicated to my friend flowerofpomona. Thank you so much for all your support. 😘