CHAPTER 12 : WHY DID I DO THAT?

Recap

"Still I am not so pleased with it and neither am I pleased with your action, Marina," King Wilhelm said while narrowing his eyes at both Marina and Nathaniel.
------------------------------------------------------
"A carriage is waiting for you, go straight to the guest house. We have a lot to discuss today and this time you are in serious trouble, young lady," King Wilhelm ordered Marina before disappearing with Queen Sofia.

"I know that already," Marina said to herself aloud, while making her way towards the carriage.

Out of nowhere Nathan popped in front of her. Not wanting to do anything with him, Marina looked at Nathan and started walking away. She blatantly ignored him and keeping her head high just focused on the door, the exit to this palace, the palace where she wasn't meant to enter. But, before Marina could turn towards the main hallway, Nathan stopped her.

"What do you want now?" Marina snapped at him, anger taking control over her senses.

"You have every right to be angry with me Marina. I know this engagement thing was--"

Marina let's out a humorless laugh, cutting off Nathan in the process.

"You seriously think I am angry with you for this engagement thing, then you are wrong, completely wrong," Marina inhaled a deep breathe to calm down herself before continuing again.

"I forgave you for this untold and unplanned engagement. In fact, I would have been thankful to you--"

"You don't need to thank me for-"

"But I am not," Marina replied while cutting off Nathan.

"I would have been thankful to you, had I met you for the first time today, had you not played with my emotions, had you not broken my trust, had you not lied to me, had you been who you claimed to be... Why did you do it? What did you get from it?"

"I--"

"Not another lie, please," Marina said to Nathan as she walked away.

Marina had already taken out her anger, but, what was left was only sadness, hurt. For the first time, she let herself get attached to a stranger only to get hurt, lied and her trust being broken.

Nathan sighed heavily as he watched Marina's retreating figure. Today was not definitely what he expected. Today was supposed to be the last day when he saw this overconfident, arrogant, yet, innocent princess, not the day of his engagement.

Nathan went back to his room and laid down on his bed while using his one hand as a pillow.

"What have I involved myself into? An engagement!! Seriously, what was I thinking?"

"That you have to save her from the clutches of Alfredo, that you have to protect her," Nathan's inner voice answerd him back.

"That's a bit right and the only reason I wanted to save her was because she was, still is, too innocent and good to be involved, in all this, in Alves."

"Or maybe because that's what friends are supposed to do."

"I never considered her my friend."

"Fool yourself as much as you want to."

"Stop it, go away!!" Nathan shouted at himself, his hands flying everywhere in exasperation.

In an attempt to calm his mind, Nathan decided to get some fresh air and went to stand in the balcony. There he stood quietly looking at the endless stream of stars. He closed his eyes only to hear Marina's voice.

"Why did you do it? What did you get from it?"

The voice that was filled with hatred for him. Sad, teary blue eyes came into his memory, only to make him open his eyes with a jolt.

"Ahh...!!" Nathan screamed while closing his ears with his hands in an attempt to stop Marina's voice.

"I lied to her... why? Why did I do that? Was I afraid that she might not like me as the Prince of Alves? Even I had not wanted to do anything with that blue - eyed Princess, then why? Maybe I just wanted her to be away from Alves, from the politics of Alves, from me..." Nathan said while looking at the fastly driven carriage of Marina on the road.

"Or maybe you just wanted to be truthful to someone, to be with someone who would not judge you, to get a part of the kindness her eyes held..." Nathan's inner voice interrupted his trail of thoughts.

"*Sigh* In the end, even I don't know the reason, Marina. I wish I knew the answer to your question. Only if things started to be as per our wishes, the world won't be like this... we won't be trapped in a situation like this... " Nathan said while tightly gripping the railing of his balcony.

************************************************************
Hello dear readers!!
So, this chapter basically showed Nathan or Nathaniel's point of view. I hope you all liked it.

A special thanks to all my readers, who have been supporting this book and gave it a chance it. I hope it was worth it.

Till the next update, keep shining ;)

- Love Addy :)

P.S. 'El Destino' is currently at #19 in historical fiction.