CHAPTER 17 : THE MARRIAGE

Finally, the much awaited big day arrived. If people said one month was a long time, then Marina could easily win that argument.

For Marina, a month's time did not seem long but tortuous. For someone used to riding horses and running around here and there, sitting in a room for hours did seem torturous. Wondering, why?

Well, Marina was the Princess bride. So, a long and exhausting preparations were being done to make her wedding perfect. From trying hundred's of dresses, to tasting cakes to lighting, in everything Marina was involved. Even though Marina's wedding was not exactly a choice for her, but her father wanted it to be the special moment of her life.

As the sounds of "I do" echoed in the Palace of Torrentice, the two Ardimentoso's, two royals were tied in the sacred bondage of marriage.

The whole palace was decorated with white, blue and back lilies, a beautiful contrast to Marina's eyes and hair color. Dressed in a white sweetheart neckline wedding gown with beautiful golden patchwork and white veil, Marina looked amazing. Her long black hair were beautifully made into a perfect bun, held together by a golden leaflet pin.

On the other hand, Nathan who was dressed in brown trousers, white tunic and a raglan sleeved golden velveteen overcoat that
had a beautiful white flower brooch, looked breathtaking.

"Now, you may kiss your bride, Your Highness."

Hesitation was one word that aptly described the situation of Nathan and Marina. Holding hands, exchanging rings and vows was a different story, but kissing was a whole new level of awkwardness. Especially, when the two knew that this marriage was not of their choice. If they had a choice, they would probably be anywhere but here.

As the whole crowd silently awaited for the end of the ceremony, Nathan and Marina just stared at each other. The priest cleared his throat twice. With a sigh, Nathan pulled Marina into his arms and before she could decipher what was happening, he quickly whispered a "sorry" and crashed his lips on hers. Marina stood there paralyzed in Nathan's arms, eventually Nathan pulled away.

Nathan dragged Marina, who was still recovering from her initial shock, to get the blessings of their elders and relatives. Soon, the two parted and went to meet their respective friends, until the call for the first dance was made.

Nathan could see the rage in Marina's blue eyes. Well, she knew it was a part of the ceremony, but, it was her first kiss.  As the music played, the two started to dance, but Marina's fuming eyes refused to look, rather glare, at anyone but Nathan.

Smoothly, in a sudden movement, Nathan twirled Marina pulling her back only to collide with his chest. Nathan smirked at Marina's innocent face which held a bewildered look along with flushed cheeks.

"Do you always act so abruptly?" Marina asked angrily, facing Nathan as the two continued to dance.

It had been more than a month since the two had spoken to each other, much less a conversation. Even when Nathan and his family had arrived for the wedding at Torrentice, Marina had successfully ignored Nathan.

"Why? What did I do?"

"Oh please, as if you don't know," Marina says, rolling her eyes

"Enlighten me," Nathan smirked on seeing Marina blushing.

In a sudden, swift movement Nathan lifted Marina up by her waist, doing a 360 turn, he gracefully put her down. Only to twirl her and bring her back to collide with his chest.

"Did you mean this?" Nathan whispered to Marina, his hot breath fanning Marina's earlobe.

Rage overcame Marina, she had enough of this. Even though her face was red and her body felt weak by this sudden contact, she pushed herself away from Nathan, facing him.

"What the hell is your problem? First, you kiss me all of a sudden, then you make me dance as if I am your toy. I mean as it is this tulle dress is so uncomfortable, all puffy and frilly. So, unusual and unlike me and not to mention this footwear, which are a pain in my ass. This is all so unlike me!! As it is I can't get over the fact that I am married, much less to you," Marina rambled while Nathan just smiled at her cute rambling.

"You think all this is funny?"

"No, but if you won't let me speak how am I to express myself. Okay, I get it all this marriage thing is new but it's both way. If you don't know already, it's my first marriage too."

(A/N -  Remember, polygamy was much prevalent in those days in royal families.)

Nathan immediately regreted saying so, on seeing the blank look on Marina's face.

"I mean--"

"It's okay, I understand, it's not like you can't marry anyone else too. Oh see, the song's almost ended, I should go."

Before Marina could remove her hands, Nathan pulled her forward, their faces just inches apart. Marina felt Nathan's hot breathe on her forehead as he slowly pushed her chin up, making their eyes meet.

"I will never marry anyone else. Even if this marriage wasn't a choice, I am always going to be there by your side. I am sorry, if I hurt you, but I mean every word that I said now."

With a soft kiss on her forehead, Nathan pulled away leaving a stunned Marina behind.

(On the other side of the Palace )

With a heavy sigh, Prince Oliver gulped down another drink, probably his third in the afternoon. He was very close to his sister and had never thought he'd have to bid her farewell so early.

As the events of this unlikely marriage unfold in his mind with a clenched fist, he orders another drink, only to be interrupted by Nathan.

"What do you want now?" Oliver snapped at Nathan.

"Well, hello to you too dear brother-in-law," Nathan answered, sarcastically.

"Why are you here?" Oliver asked, this time his voice calmer.

"Well, I did not see you after the ceremony. So, I was thinking that my dear brother-in-law must have something to say to the groom."

Oliver stared at Nathan and turnd around in another direction, where Marina was playing with Brialle and Cathy.

"She is the life of our castle, no kingdom. Be it the citizens or the servants, the knights or the lords, she is dear to everyone of them. She is like that needle which sews everyone together, never caring about herself."

Nathan too turned towards Marina's direction. His sister for the first time looked happy, free and safe. He could get why Marina was so highly regarded, wherever she went, she spread happiness, love. Oliver's word drew Nathan out of his thoughts.

"That's why if you ever hurt her, I am personally going to kill you. Even if it means, plunging both our kingdoms into war," Oliver salid while giving a death glare to Nathan.

"I will make sure that never happens."

"Not even a single tear--"

"I know Prince Oliver you care for Marina. But, you need to remember that Marina is my wife now. I will do everything to keep her happy and safe. I have already taken my vows and I never go back on my words."

With that Nathan got up, leaving a bemused Oliver behind to find Ally, probably to fish out some information about his dear wife, Marina.

************************************************************
Hello dear readers!!
God!! I am exhausted, this is my longest chapter till date. Hope you enjoyed it.

So, what do you think about Nathan and Marina? Not to forget our dear Oliver.

So, who wants to ship Nathan & Marina? Come on guys, we need a good name for our dear protagonists!! I am looking up to all of you for it.

Till the next update, keep shining ;)

- Love Addy :)