CHAPTER 23 : EMILY

Marina stood in the balcony, gripping the railing tightly. She had a scowl on her face as she glared at particularly no one.

Marina heard some footsteps behind her, somebody cleared their throat once, twice, but Marina ignored it.

"Marina are you still angry with me?" Nathan asked while turning her body to face him.

Marina continued to ignore him and looked the other way.

"I take that as a yes," Nathan mutters to himself as Marina tries to wiggle out of his grip.

"I am sorry, Princess. Seriously, sorry," Nathan said while smiling apologetically.

"See, it was not my fault. When I saw you roaming around the market, I just lost it. I thought about all the mishaps that could have happened with you. I-"

"I had Ally by my side and I was disguised."

"That doesn't change the fact that you are a female, a woman whose considered nothing in our kingdom."

Marina winces at Nathan's comment, but decides to ignore it.

"How did you even recognize me?" Marina asked her voice barely audible.

"I can recognize you even if I have am blindfolded, market is a small place."

"How?"

"I guess the answer lies in your eyes."

"Whenever I look in them, I just know it's you. I feel like my whole world lies in them," Nathan thinks but quickly dismisses his thoughts.

While Nathan was lost in his thoughts, Marina pushed him away, freeing herself in the process.

"But what were you doing there in the market? I told you Alves is dangerous-"

"For me because I am a woman. A woman who should only stay confined within the four walls of her room, who should just dress up and sit like a doll, whose sole job is to listen to her husb- Lord," Marina snapped at Nathan.

"I never said-"

"So, what did your actions mean? I can understand you were shocked to see me at the market, but, that doesn't mean you get the right to drag me and-"

"But-"

"Don't cut me off. You said you never meant that, then what am I to understand from your actions? I am not an animal, you can't expect me to just stay inside this castle forever. Even, Brialle is allowed to-" Marina stops midway when she realizes just how close Nathan and she were.

Marina decides to pull away but Nathan had other plans. He grabs Marina by her waist making her collide on his chest.

"What-"

"I am sorry, I know my words and actions hurt you. I have no right to cage you or order you around. You can go wherever you want, but, you are my responsibility Marina and I was just looking out for you," Nathan whispers before leaving a confused Marina alone.

~An hour later ~

Marina was sitting on the armchair, trying to read a book. But, her mind kept replaying Nathan's words. While she was lost in her own thoughts, she felt someone's hand on her shoulder, startled she dropped the book.

"I am sorry, I had no intention of scaring you," Nathan apologized, picking up Marina's book from the floor.

"Here, wear this, quickly."

"But-"

"Just do so, no questions."
Reluctantly Marina agrees, taking the box from Nathan.

She wears the black hood and cape that Nathan had brought along with the blue shirt and black trousers. Lastly, she wrapped the black scarf around her mouth to conceal her face.