CHAPTER 40: MARI

Recap -

"Not for so long," Marina replies as the two simultaneously get up and turning around, hot on their heels, they continuously strike at each other.
------------------------------------------------------
Striking, defending, striking, defending, Marina and Lucio followed this pattern as they continued to fight. Breathless, the two stared at each other. Both, waiting for the other to attack. Suddenly, Lucio charged forward with his sword horizontal, aiming for Marina's stomach.

Quickly, Marina knelt down, sliding across Lucio. Standing up, she swiftly turned around, counter attacking Lucio, who quickly jumped away, barely managing to maintain his balance.

As Lucio's hold on his sword weakened whilst he tried to maintain the balance. Marina took this opportunity and aiming for his sword, lunged forward. With a loud clink, Lucio's sword went flying from his hand, outside the fighting ring.

However, in this process, Lucio lost his balance and stumbled back. To gain back his balance, he grabbed Marina's arm, who was too stunned to realize what was happening and ended up falling on Lucio.

With Lucio, himself, on the ground, groaning in pain and Marina laying on top of him, the situation was pretty compromising. But, Marina's mind was channelising different thoughts, her eyes were trained on something.

Following Marina's gaze, Lucio found out that Marina was staring at his moonstone pendant, which had jerked out, when the two had decided to take the blessings of the Mother Earth.

With her dream still vividly alive in her mind, she slowly grabbed Lucio's moonstone, her moonstone, the moonstone she had given to her best friend, to Lui.

"This is..."

"It is a moonstone pendant," Lucio answers Marin's unasked question.

"Oh, really? I thought it was Moon," Marina replies sarcastically.

"Well, good then, I told you something knowledgeable," Lucio remarks while smirking, intentionally ignoring Marina's sarcasm.

"You are teasing me."

"Yes."

"*Sigh* You haven't changed a bit in the past thirteen years Lui. You are still the same overconfident person, who loves to tease me."

"As if you have changed a bit Mari. You call me overconfident. But, look at yourself, still the impulsive one," Lucio replied almost immediately. But, as soon as, he registers his words, he recognizes what he just walked into.

"So, you are indeed Lui, my best friend Lui, my overconfident Lui," Marina says while grinning.

"I will ignore the fact that you just called me overconfident thrice-"

"It was twice."

"Fine, twice. But, I can't believe you remember me?"

"Of course, it's hard even for my mind to get rid of your friendship and you," Marina laughs and starts playing with the moonstone.

"But, I never thought you would still wear it."

"Why wouldn't I? After all, I promised to and then my best friend gave it to me. So, I had to."

"If you knew, who I was, then why didn't you confront me earlier?"

"I thought, you would have forgotten me..."

"I can never forget my friends, much less my best friend. But, that doesn't mean I am not angry with you."

"I will hear you out. But, first get off me. Within thirteen years, you have become so fat."

"What I have become fat? You have become weak!" Marina huffed in annoyance while getting up from Lucio, who couldn't help but laugh at Marina's reaction.

"Mari, I was just teasing you. But, why were you angry with me?"

"Add this to the list too. The real reason, why I am angry with you is because you did not treat me nicely like at all."

"What? When?"

"You ignored me for days and avoided me."

"What? I am sorry for acting ignorant and cold towards you. I mean I did not think you remembered me and-" Lucio's words were cut off by Marina's laughter.

On seeing Lucio's frown, Marina sobered up.

"I forgive you, I can't believe you apologized. I mean, I thought you did not know that a word like sorry even existed. If you apologized, then you must have felt pretty guilty."

"Shut up," Lucio replied angrily, his ears red with embarrassment.

"Aww, my Lui's angry. But, that doesn't mean you get to go back on your words Lui."

"I won't Mari, I will go and talk to dad about your prize. But, this doesn't stop here."

"Of course it never stops between us," Marina replies while smirking.

As Lucio was leaving, Marina's words halt him.

"But, I am really glad to have met you again."

Without replying Lucio exits the training room with a smile adorning his face.

"Wait, now how will I go back to my room?" Marina groaned at her own stupidity of letting Lucio go, without asking him directions.
************************************************************
Hello readers!!
Sorry guys, I wasn't able to update on Sunday. My tests are going on and my weeks have been pretty hectic.😥😥

Before, I forget, El Destino got an honorable mention in The Hopeful Awards😊😊

Back to the story, what do you think of Lui and Mari?
Please do comment, I would love to know your thoughts.

Till the next update, keep shining ;)

- Love Addy :)