13

Kagami took a deep breath and knocked on the office door.  This was his first stop, next he'd have to go to the university advisors and tell them that he was taking the next quarter or two off.  None of this was going to be easy.  He really didn't want to face the basketball coach and tell him that he had to quit the team, but he had to.  Aomine had tried to insist on coming with him, but Kagami didn't let him.  He wanted to be able to do this alone.

A voice from the other side of the door said to come in, so Kagami slowly opened the door.  He stepped inside, the coach was sitting at the desk and after a few seconds looked up.  He smiled, "Kagami.  What can I do for you?"

Kagami let out a nervous laugh, walking further into the office and sitting in the chair across the desk from the coach.  He sat up a little straighter, knowing that it would be best to just take a direct approach, "I need to quit the team."

The coach stared at him for a moment before leaning back in his chair, laughing loudly.  Only when he noticed that Kagami's expression was still serious did he stop laughing.  The coach raised his eyebrows, looking at Kagami.  "You're serious?"

Kagami kept his mouth shut, nodding.  He fixed his baseball cap firmly on his head, looking everywhere but at the coach.

"Why?"  The coach leaned against his desk.

Kagami shrugged, still avoiding the coach's gaze, "I can't keep playing."  The coach kept looking at him, expecting more.  Kagami bit his lip, knowing that he would have to say something.  He just couldn't tell him the truth, most people didn't know that being a hybrid shifter like him was a real thing.  It would sound even crazier if Kagami told him that the actual reason was because he was pregnant.  He shrugged again, "I have a medical condition."

"What, like an injury?"  The coach narrowed his eyes at Kagami, "You look perfectly fine."

"It's internal," Kagami looked back at the coach, he wasn't technically lying but he definitely was hiding most of the details.

"You signed a contract when you came to this university and started on the team," the coach crossed his arms, "And if you stop playing, that could jeopardize your ability to stay at this school."

Kagami shook his head, "I'm not here on a basketball scholarship, I'm here because of my own merits."  He swallowed, "Isn't there a clause in the contract that says if there's an injury or serious medical condition that I don't have to play?"

"With the proper paperwork, yes," the coach leaned forward, looking intently at Kagami, "Do you want to stay on the team, but take a break or do you want to quit the team altogether?"

"I guess it depends on how long of a break is allowed," Kagami looked down, his hand moving to rest over his abdomen, "I need at least a year."

The coach just stared at Kagami, he didn't believe that Kagami could possibly be serious.  "An entire year?  That's an entire season plus off season training."

"I know it's a lot..." Kagami looked back up at the coach, "So would it be better if I just quit the team?"

The coach sighed, "Either way, you should come back with the proper medical records that state whatever injury or illness you have, so we can square it with your contract."

"Really?  I'd really rather not share the details of my... condition."  Kagami's eyes widened, he wasn't embarrassed about his situation, well maybe a little.  He didn't want to be ridiculed for being different either.  He couldn't be sure the people around him would understand his situation and he'd rather go through it with his family and Aomine and no one else.

"Just bring what the contract says to bring and we'll talk then," the coach sat back, "I expect you at practice until then."

"I can't," Kagami leaned forward, resting his hands on the edge of the desk, his expression worried.

The coach just shook his head, "I can't let you quit until then.  If it's really an issue, you can sit out of most of the practices."

Kagami clenched his jaw, swallowing hard.  He stood up, "Understood."  He turned around to leave the office, not giving the coach to say anything else.  He felt like he just wasn't going to be able to get what he needed to do what was right for the baby.  He was going to have to endure unkind stares and whispers behind his back.  He didn't know if he could handle that.

[A/N: I hope you liked the update! I know it's a bit heavy on the feels but somewhere along the line I decided to make this a bit more realistic for college life too 😂 how's it working out?]