36

Aomine opened the apartment door to the smell of delicious food.  He couldn't believe that Kagami was still cooking for him.  Kagami needed to rest and take care of himself.  Aomine would survive if he had to do some cooking himself.

He took off his shoes as he walked inside.  Kagami was already sitting at the table, plates of food ready and waiting.  Kagami's head was slightly drooped with his ears pressed against his head and his shoulders scrunched together.  Aomine walked up to him, hugging him from behind, "Taiga, what's wrong?"

Kagami brought up a hand to rest over Aomine's, shrugging.  He turned his head back to look at Aomine, "Nothing."

But Aomine could see how puffy Kagami's eyes were.  Even if he wasn't crying right now, he certainly had been a few moments ago.  Aomine unwrapped his arms.  Moving to sit a chair next to Kagami, he turned Kagami's chair to face him.  "Come on, don't lie."

Kagami shrugged again, keeping his head down, "I just don't know if I'm strong enough to do this."

Aomine reached up to hold Kagami's chin and gently lift his face, "What brought this up?"

"I... saw the coach today," Kagami's voice was small, "Officially resigned from the basketball team.  He didn't believe my reason, but I guess I didn't expect him to."

"It doesn't matter what he thinks," Aomine moved his hand up to caress Kagami's cheek, "We'll do what's best for you no matter what."

"Yeah, and I trust you," Kagami swished his tail up to curl the end around Aomine's wrist, "I just don't know if I can really survive other people.  He laughed when he saw the medical papers because he thought it was a typo.  And I don't really know him.  What are our friends going to say?  What about your parents?  I don't want to get chased with torches and pitchforks."

"I'll protect you, no matter what, I swear it," Aomine narrowed his eyes, speaking completely seriously, "What other people think doesn't matter.  As long as we're happy, that's what matters."

"I know," Kagami smiled, rubbing his tail over Aomine's wrist, "I just wish we didn't have to deal with anyone else and it was just you and me."

"It will be," Aomine smiled, leaning his forehead against Kagami's, "Don't worry."

[AN: I hope you like this update! I don't really have much to say right now, but there will be cute feels!]