50

Kagami took a deep breath as he walked into the same Majiba he and Kuroko used to go to all the time in high school. It was definitely a nostalgic place to meet at. He had come alone since he insisted that Aomine be good and go to his classes. Besides, this was something he needed to do for himself. He was wearing his loose shirt with a hoodie over it for good measure. He looked around and found Kuroko sitting at their old window table, already sipping on a milkshake.

He walked up to Kuroko. "Hey! Sorry I took so long to get here," he said as he sat down. Truth be told, he'd stood outside for ten minutes, getting up the courage to walk inside.

"I was worried you might not come." Kuroko flashed a brief smile. "How are you, Kagami-kun?"

"I'm doing okay." He smiled, trying to cover how he was nervous.

"Just okay? I would think you'd be more excited with your wedding coming up next weekend." Kuroko tilted his head to the side.

Kagami swallowed, scratching his head. "Of course I'm excited. I was just..." He stood up suddenly. "I think I'll get some food. Do you want anything besides the milkshake?"

"I'm alright, thank you, Kagami-kun."

Kagami went to the line and ordered a pile of burgers. It was smaller than his usual pile. There was just something that made him feel like he might not be able to keep the food down today. He brought the food back over to where Kuroko sat. He sat down and unwrapped his first burger and knew he'd been right. The smell just made him feel nauseated today.

Luckily, Kuroko asked him something, so he had an excuse to put the burger down. "Will you still be Kagami-kun or will you become Aomine-kun? Or is Aomine-kun going to take your name?"

He laughed and shrugged. "I'm taking his name, it's no big deal."

Only, the way Kuroko stared at him and nodded slowly made it seem like a big deal. Like him taking Aomine's name was more telling than he meant for it to be. "I see." Kuroko took a sip from his milkshake. "I'll have to come up with a way to differentiate you two."

Kagami tried to laugh it off. "You can still call me Kagami."

Kuroko smiled. "Thank you, Kagami-kun. I think I like that best."

"Yeah, don't worry, Kuroko. It's not a big deal to me." Though he didn't want Aomine to think he was ashamed of taking his name. Oh why did everything feel so complicated now? After a moment, he realized that Kuroko was just staring at him. He furrowed his brow. "What is it, Kuroko?"

"Aren't you going to eat?" Kuroko said, still staring at Kagami.

He swallowed and picked up a burger again. "Of course." He grinned as he forced himself to take a bite. He just prayed that he would be able to keep it down.

"Something seems different with you, Kagami-kun."

"I think it's just pre-wedding jitters."

Kuroko nodded slowly. "Yes, that must be it. I am very happy for you and Aomine-kun."

"Thanks, Kuroko." He smiled and set the burger back down. He didn't want to push it. "I should probably cut this short. There's still lots to do for the wedding." He tried to explain away his reactions.

"I'm glad we got to meet up." Kuroko smiled. "I'll see you at the wedding."

"Yeah, me too." He smiled and put all of his unwrapped burgers in a to-go bag before quickly walking out of the burger joint.

[AN: Wooooow had I really not updated this story since 2018?? well, this was LONG overdue! But I will keep updating it, I have a lot of things I want to do with this story, we'll see how it goes! I hope you still like the update, I'll do my best to have more soon!! 😊 thank you for reading!]