Chapter 4

NOTE: The dream in this chapter is in Italics

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Sam's POV)

I was a little confused when Gabriel passed out on the bed. He was an angel he wasn't supposed to get tired. I looked over to Dean worriedly, not understanding why and not knowing what to do. Gabriel was freezing even though he was under four blankets and I began to worry even more. I sat next to Gabriel on the bed and asked Dean what exactly happened. "He must have used a lot of his power trying to wake you up so that you wouldn't bring the whole place down."

I felt really guilty about it and I slid under the covers next to Gabriel, hoping to warm him up. I glared at Dean when he snickered at me. I was just trying to make sure that Gabriel was okay but for some reason I doubted that I was doing this only because I felt guilty about being the cause of it in the first place. I just couldn't place the other reason why I was doing it. I hadn't realized I was staring at Gabriel until Dean started laughing.

I glared at him as I asked him why he was laughing. What could be so funny that he had to laugh right now? When I did ask though, he just shook his head and lied down, facing the other direction before going to sleep. I huffed in irritation before laying down myself. Closing my eyes, and trying not to think about the exhausted angel next to me... I drifted off to sleep.

Lightning flashed, lighting up the whole room and I glared at Dean who was passed out on the bed. The storm had knocked out the WiFi too so I had absolutely nothing to do. I didn't want to get wet so I decided to stay inside and I stared out the window, trying to figure out what to do. Another flash of light lit the room and I found myself looking in Dean's direction but instead of looking at Dean, I found myself staring at someone I haven't seen in way too long.

Auburn eyes stared back at me in just as much shock as I was staring at him. It had been... six or was it seven, years. I smiled as I walked up to him. I never got to tell him how I felt and I regretted it every day after his death. I wrapped him in a tight hug, trying not to cry as I stared at the back wall. "I thought you were dead..." I chocked out.

He pushed me back until I was arms length away from him and he searched my eyes where there was no doubt tears, waiting to pour out. "So did I." he said wrapping me in another hug. I couldn't believe he was actually here. I haven't felt so strongly for a person after Jessica had died eleven years ago until I met Gabe. I fell for him hard and fast. I hadn't even known what hit me until a few months before he died when I struggled to hide my feelings for the angel.

My stomach twisted in knots when we finally separated and he flashed me his winning smile. Despite the pain in my chest, I couldn't be happier. I wanted to kiss him so badly but I knew that he would never love me the way that I loved him and it hurt but at the moment I could care less because he was actually here. He was actually standing in front of me right now.

A few days later Dean, Gabe, and I were on a hunt. I had no idea as to why Gabe was with us but we found out that he wasn't an angel anymore. I didn't know how or why it happened but both Dean and I agreed he could stay with us for a while. He tagged along with us on our hunt which was against a bunch of rebelling angels. They hated heaven and it's stupid rules and hated humans almost as much as that. They wanted to be alone and would kill anyone who crossed their path and unfortunately it had been quite a few people. Dean and I heard about it and decided that we were going to do something about it.

The angels were furious when we showed up and a huge battle began. There were blades and blood everywhere. Random flashes of light as the angels were killed. It was really hard to kill angels without being one yourself but Dean and I managed to find out how. We were greatly outnumbered. Fifteen to three. At some point during the battle our side was winning. The angels had been reduced down to five and continued to reduce but we were getting tired.

At long last there were just three and three. The angels smirked once they realized just how exhausted the three of us were before launching an attack. I dodged a blow that would have broken every bone in my body and I lunged forward. I hadn't realized when the angel moved and I found myself on the floor, gasping for breath, as the angel used his powers to cut off my airways. I gasped but couldn't breathe and I couldn't reach the blade either.

The angel slowly advanced, a wicked smile on his face, as he prepared to kill me. I closed my eyes and prayed to God, thanking him for all the good things he brought into my life. I thanked him for an amazing brother and friends. I thanked him for the crazy ride I've been on. I thanked him for the times I was free of hunting and my time with Dean. I thanked him for every good thing and every bad thing and even everything in between in my life. I used to hate my life but if I was ever given the choice to change it, I wouldn't because there have been so many good things. Ellen. Jo. Ash. Pamela and my father. I got to travel around the states and see things I probably never would have if Dean hadn't showed up that day.

I smiled and the angel blinked wearily before shaking his head and raising the blade to kill me. "Thank you for everything." I croaked as the blade plunged down towards my chest. I was prepared to die but the blow never came. I slowly opened my eyes to find an angel blade sticking out of his chest, his face frozen in shock. Gabriel stood behind him with an evil smirk of his own before the angel vanished in a bright light.

I smiled up at Gabriel as he helped me up. There were two left. One that was facing Dean and the other running straight for Gabe and I. Everything happened so fast it was too hard to process. Dean killed the angel he was fighting and collapsed on the floor and tried to take a few deep breaths and calm down. The angel rushing towards Gabe and I had a blade sticking out of his chest from when I stabbed him. He smiled wickedly before vanishing and Gabe fell to the floor in a heap.

I looked down and saw the blood spreading quickly. My eyes widened and I shouted as I fell to the floor next to Gabe. I grabbed his hand and rested my forehead against his. Dean watched, pity and despair written on his face. I cried as I held onto the dying Gabe. He took a shaky breath and looked up at me. "It's going to be okay Sammy." he croaked. I shook my head, tears still falling.

"No it won't be. Not without you here. I already lost you to death once. I can't lose you again. I need you Gabriel. I love you and I can't go through the pain again." I cried.

He smiled at me and took another shaky breath. "I love you too Sammy." Then his hand went limp and the twinkle in his eyes left and all that was left was pain and darkness.

I woke up to Gabriel shaking me with a worried look on his face. "What's wrong? Are you okay? What happened?" he asked quickly. My heart ached as I looked at Gabriel but I couldn't let him know what I had dreamed about.

"I'm fine. It was just a nightmare." I replied smiling and Gabriel nodded even though I could tell he wanted to know what scared me so badly. He moved to get up but I got scared about what I would see if I went back to sleep without him there. "P-please stay for a little while longer. Until I fall asleep again at least."

He nodded and laid back down. I thanked him before nodding off again, this time not as bad as the time before. When I woke up again I didn't open my eyes. Fingers ran through my hair, playing with it and I enjoyed the feeling. A heartbeat thudded in my ear and I moved my hand to figure out what I was sleeping on. The heartbeat sped up rapidly... wait heartbeat? I sat up and looked at Gabriel, startling him.

I chuckled before apologizing. "It's fine. You just... scared me." I nodded and we sat in an odd silence for a minute.

"You have a heartbeat.. why?" I asked.

"Human vessel." he replied and I nodded in understanding. I got up and decided to go make breakfast to keep my mind off of the things I had just seen. Dean was still passed out so I made him a plate and put it in the microwave to keep it warm. Then I sat at the table with Gabriel sitting across from me.

"Could you pass me the salt please?" I asked but he didn't seem to be listening. I reached out to grab it myself but it appeared he had been paying attention because he grabbed for it as well. Our hands brushed against one another and a shiver ran up my spine. I pulled my hand away and stared at my lap, trying to figure out what I was feeling and if it was the same way I felt about Gabriel in the dream.