Chapter 55

Sam

"What is the limit as x approaches 3?" Dean asked, glaring at the page. "Why was this so much easier in class?" Dean growled, throwing his pencil down, running his fingers through his hair.

"It's 6," I sighed.

"What?"

"It's 6," I merely repeated.

"I got that, thanks. How did you get it?" Dean asked, rolling his eyes.

"It's a graph, look at the left side, see where the line approaches 3 on the x-axis and 6 on the y-axis. If the right side of the graph also approaches 3 on the x and 6 on the y, then it's a limit, as long as it isn't an asymptote," I explained.

"You're such a nerd!"

I rolled my eyes, staring off into space, thinking about Cas and Dean. Dean seemed so much happier with Cas around and it was amazing. I remember asking Dean how it felt to be with someone so fantastic. Dean had told me that being around Cas was like sinking and floating at the same time.

It sounded cliche as all hell, but I understood what he meant. I felt like that around Gabe, but it didn't matter.

I couldn't help but think about how repulsed he was y me, by the thought of dating me.

That day, in the Pie Factory, I felt like I was flying, like I could do anything. Gabe's smile was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and it made my stomach twist in knots, but he didn't like me back. He couldn't.

I remembered how he looked when the lady suggested we were a couple. He had pales, eyes wide, flushing in embarrassment, and he immediately shook his hands, needing to correct her.

That itself stung, but when he told Jess and Charlie that, if they ever were to go with a friend, they should tell the guide ahead of time because the will get it wrong... that had hurt so much worse.

"Sam!" Dean yelled, waving a hand in front of my face.

"Yes?" I asked, shaking my head to snap myself out of my thoughts.

"Are you okay?"

" Yeah. I'm fine," I lied.

"What's going on?" Dean asked, seeing right through me. I sighed, glancing at him. "Sam,: he started, ready to reprimand me for lying, or avoiding the question.

"I don't wanna have this conversation again," I whispered, staring at my hands instead of looking Dean in the eye.

"About Gabe?" Dean asked. I said nothing. "Sam, you know he —"

"He was disgusted, Dean!" I yelled, shocking both him and myself.

"What?"

"He was disgusted by the idea of dating me. The way that he looked when the woman at the Pie Factory thought we were together, thought that we were a cute couple... he was mortified, had to instantly correct her assumption."

"Maybe he just didn't want her to get the wrong idea," Dean suggested.

"Then why would he tell Charlie to let them know, ahead of time when they went with a friend, that they were friends, not a couple, to stop them from saying it to them too?"

"Maybe he wanted to save them from embarrassment."

"Dean, you don't get it," I whispered harshly.

"Then explain it to me," Dean coaxed, watching me quietly.

"Haven't you noticed?" I asked, staring at him as though he were blind, tears lining my eyes. "He sits further away from me, barely looks my way. Dean, he takes any chance to get away from me and tries to avoid conversations. He is disgusted and embarrassed, trying to prevent others from thinking about us as a couple again."

Dean opened his mouth, probably to protest, but he only shook his head, sighing. "Maybe he has another reason behind his actions, Sam."

"I appreciate you trying to cheer me up, Dean, but nothing you can say will convince me that he means otherwise," I whispered, turning away.

Dean and I started studying again, and though Dean look like he wanted to say something, he thankfully left it alone.

~~~

When we got to school, Dean pulled Gabe aside and talked to him. There were some arms waving and red faces.

"Oh on," I groaned, hiding my face under my arms.

"What is it?" Jessica asked. I didn't even look up, pointing at Dean and Gabe. "Oh," she breathed. "What are they talking about?"

"Nothing of importance," I groaned.

"It is important though,: Charlie counteracted, sitting between me and Jess. "Sam likes Gabe and Gabe is kind of avoiding hi, but not really."

"Hey!" I shouted, pouting when Charlie giggled.

"That so sad, and kinda cute," Jess cooed, eyeing Dean.

I only huffed, watching as Gabe sighed, trudging back to the table. I pulled out my phone, texting Dean.

Me: I'm going to kill you.

Dean barked out a laugh, showing Charlie, Jess, and Cas the text when they asked why he was laughing.

Charlie giggled and Jess hid her face in Charlie's shoulder to muffle her laughter.

I glared at Dean.

"What's so funny?" Gabe asked, cocking his head slightly to the side in that adorable way of his. Dean just waved the question off and I couldn't help feeling bad for him.

"Nothing, man."

"Sure," Gabe dragged the word out, obviously not believing Dean in the slightest.

The bell rang and we began walking to band, Gabe and I hanging behind the others. I couldn't tell if he was doing it because of whatever Dean had said to him, or if he actually wanted to. It was probably the former.

"What was all the laughing about?" Gabe asked.

"I don't know," I lied.

"Sam," he whined, shoving me lightly. "Quit lying."

"Okay... well, what did you and Dean talk about?" I asked, playfully shoving him back, a grin on my face and butterflies in my stomach.

"Nothing," Gabe muttered quickly, turning away, blushing bright red.

"Exactly!" I nearly shouted, shoving him again and sprinting towards the band room.

"Hey!" Gabe yelled, running after me, the sound of laughing filling my ears and heart.