Chapter 54

NOTE: I feel awful about not finishing this over the summer like I was meant to. It was hectic with traveling and marching band. I have had this chapter as well as the last one done for about a month and a half, and I feel bad for not publishing either, so here you go. Two chapters in one day.

~~~

Gabe

After dinner, I went up to my room. I shared it with Cas because Chuck's house only had 3 rooms. One was a guest bedroom and the other two were Chuck's and my shared room with Cas.

I laid back on my bed, pulling the photo album from my dresser drawer and flipped it open.

Chuck was very hesitant to let me keep it through each timeline, but I practically begged him to let me have one. I needed a way to keep track of the different timelines because they had all started to blend together.

I looked through the pictures, stopping on one taken of Sam and I at the carnival. Sam had a unicorn painted on his cheek, bright green sunglasses on. He was pointing at something, wanting to go there. I remember that he was so excited to go into the house of mirrors. In the picture I was smiling at him lovingly. I adored seeing him so childish.

I smiled and flipped the page, finding a picture of Sam's birthday.

He was turning 18 and had wanted an actual birthday party. Dean had brought out the cake, 18 candles lit. Cas had rubbed Dean's arm lovingly as Dean placed the cake down. We finished singing "Happy Birthday." Jess had pulled back Sam's long hair so that it wouldn't burn.

Sam closed his eyes and blew out all the candles. We clapped as the smoke twirled upwards, towards the ceiling.

I was giddy, preparing for my job.

"Where's the knife?" Sam asked, looking around for it.

I tiptoed toward him and wrapped my arm around his shoulders, making it seem like I was merely congratulating him. Then, I slammed his face down into the cake, everyone cackling when he came back up, huffing.

The picture was taken when his face was covered in cake, lip out as he pouted. Everyone around him was laughing, eyes twinkling.

I chuckled as I continued looking through the pictures, stopping on, possibly, my favorite moment.

The picture was of me, Sam, Dean, and Cas. We were huddled together in a group hug and my arm was in a dark blue cast with a few signed names on it.

I had broken my are a few weeks prior. I had been riding my bike and I didn't hear the car coming. They didn't see me until it was too late. They had slowed down, but knew it wasn't enough. They honked their horn and I tried to dodge. I was almost out of the way when I leaped from my bike, landing my entire body weight on my arm.

Fortunately I didn't break it too badly and their car only had a dent. They were a nice couple and didn't want to call the cops, feeling bad about it. They paid for half of my hospital bill.

It was awkward having a broken arm. I was the only person in the band class who couldn't play my instrument. I had to teach myself to write with my left hand for math class and I wasn't able to salute in JROTC, which was unfortunate because I was the company commander, so I had to stand in front of everyone and not salute. It was awkward and it was lonely. That's why, when my best friends reacted the way they did after I had told them how it felt, I loved them even more.

"Report!" I said. The First Sergeant told me how many people were absent.

After attendance we formed back up. "Platoon Leaders, take charge of your platoons!" I yelled, nodding to each leader because I couldn't salute, smiling wide when they each nodded back instead of saluting.