Chapter 30

Thursday, Sam

Gabe was acting weird. I didn't really get a chance to talk to him this morning, but even without a conversation, I could tell that he was off.

Then there was the weird fiasco at the beginning of first hour. He was quiet and taking deep breaths, obviously freaking out about something.

I could tell he had been thinking about something of great importance. His brow was wrinkled in frustration and I will admit, though never out loud, it was cute.

When I told him he wasn't pathetic he just said that I didn't know that and promptly ignored me for the rest of the class period.

Well, not really ignoring me since I didn't talk to him, but that's because I knew he wouldn't answer if I tried talking to him.

He pretended to be paying attention to the teacher, but I knew that he wasn't doing that either.

I couldn't help but think he was mad at me again and I hoped I was wrong. I wouldn't have known what I did to upset him if that was the reason.

I don't know what I would do if he was mad at me again. I don't think I would handle it well though.

The bell rang for second hour and I stumbled out of the class as Gabe brushed past me. I watched him go, frowning slightly, even when Jess grabbed my hand

"What's wrong, baby?"

"N-nothing," I muttered, shaking my head before turning to kiss her cheek.

"Oh... okay then," she giggled quietly. "Come on. Let's go."

"Yeah..."

We started walking to her fourth hour. My class was a cou0le hallways away from here, but I always managed to walk her to her class and make it on time to mine.

The entire walk was quiet and I didn't know whether to thank Jess for it or not. It was a great opportunity to sort through my thoughts, but at the same time, I didn't want to deal with those same thoughts.

They were haunting and would stick with me all day. Not to mention, I shouldn't be thinking about how cute someone else when I am walking with my girlfriend. Especially since I have been dating said girlfriend for a few years.

"Sam! Sam!" Jess waved her hand in my face, snapping me put of my thoughts.

"Sorry."

"No problem. I understand. You have a lot on your mind." I nodded, silently thanking her before quickly leaving, not knowing how much time I wasted thinking.

The bell rang and I cursed quietly. I can't believe I was late to my second hour. I am never late.

I opened the door sheepishly, trying not to cringe at the fact that I was now the center of attention for being late.

"Tardy? This just isn't like you," the teacher called and I nodded.

"Sorry. I got caught up."

"Don't let it happen again," was all he said as I made my way back to my seat. I avoided making eye contact with Gabe, as much as possible.

It was obvious he didn't want to talk to me right now and I didn't feel like seeing him gawk at me like some rare specimen in a zoo.

I sighed, pulling put my notebook and started copying notes as the class resumed. "Alright. Now that I've showed you how to get an accurate count of the beans, I will assign you to a partner and you can start on the experiment."

I doodled in my notebook, half listening for my name to be called. " Sam and Gabriel," the teacher called. I gulped, looking up at Gabe who had a huge smile on his face.

I grabbed my stuff and headed over to him, confused about his weird mood swings. Last hour, it looked like he hated my guts, like he didn't want to talk to me, ever. Now... now he was smiling, beckoning me over like being my partner made him the happiest person on the entire planet.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah... are you?" Gabe cocked his head to the side al8ghtly before realizing what I was referring to.

"Yeah. Sorry you had to see that."

"What was that all about?"

"A... uh... a boy that I think is cute," he muttered, blush8ng bright red.

My heart sunk a little. He liked another boy. I shook my head. It doesn't matter... I have a girlfriend... who I love... a lot.

"Well, I hope he sees how amazing you are and dates you. You deserve it."

"He's taken," he said, shaking his head angry at himself for liking someone who is taken. His eyes started tearing up and I gingerly wiped them away.

"Hey... you can't help who you like. Sometimes it just happens. Don't give up on him. Maybe someday he won't be anymore... And then you can have your chance."

"What if he doesn't like me back?" My heart sank. He looked so broken.

"If he doesn't like you back... Then he is the craziest person on the planet because you are... amazing," I whispered, still wiping away his tears. "He isn't worth your tears, Gabe, not unless they are tears of joy."

"Thank you, Sam. I really needed that."

"Of course. Anytime. Now let's do our project." He nodded and smiled, a genuine smile and my heart fluttered because I put that smile there, and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

NOTE: Sorry that this is such a short chapter. I just needed them to talk and make each other happy without anything crazy going on. Thank you for still reading guys. -Captain