Chapter 44

Gabe

If I thought having Cas was insane, imagine my surprise when I walked in to find Dean there, with a bass guitar. I knew he could play of course, with the hundreds of times where I've restarted and become great friends with him and his brother, it was kind of inevitable not to know that he played.

I also knew that he sounded great with it, but it was surprising that he was here, because he never wanted to play in the band class. He always said that it was ridiculous to be a part of something like that.

This version was full of weird turns. "Hey, Gabe! Cas said that you would be joining the three of us!"

"Three?" I asked, tilting my head in confusion.

A moment later, Sam stepped into the room, saxophone in his hands and a nervous smile. It felt like my heart was going to stop beating. Why did he have to be here? This was my one solace. The one place that I could get away from him and talk to Charlie about my problems. It was strange enough that I knew Sam as a pen pal since... kindergarten? Who did assignments like that? I learned that quickly though when Cas talked animatedly about Dean on the way to school. I figured I was in the same boat, but with Sam. It was easier to assume when Cas kept calling Sam my boyfriend.

"Hey," he chuckled, waving his hand slightly. "Looks like we're going to be in band together this year. That's cool. I've always wanted to see you play the trumpet."

I couldn't help but chuckle. Of course I played the trumpet, with a name like Gabe and a story like one that would come from a story, I might as well just be an archangel, not to mention people with names like Lucifer and Balthazar, it seemed like angels and demons.

"What?" Sam asked, watching me closely. I brushed it off, trying to appear as though I was just nervous to be in a new school.

"Just... weird.... being away from home, ya know."

"I don't really. I've lived here my entire life, but I hope I can get you to enjoy it here as much as I do," he mumbled, a slight blush coating his cheeks. I had to turn away, stop myself from acknowledging his blush, so that I wouldn't act stupid, so that I wouldn't fall for him again. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it again.

"Maybe," I muttered, walking to grab my instrument from my case as well as a pencil. I always had a pencil on me, even when no one else did.

"Hello, class!" Someone called, walking in through the door and I tensed, recognizing the voice. Whenever Balthazar was in the room, something bad was bound to happen. "As it appears, your old band teacher, Mr. Asmodeus, left, so I am taking his place." I groaned to myself quietly. I remembered Asmodeus. He was a terrible teacher. He got frustrated at everything and yelled at everyone all the time. I was always blamed for things I hadn't done wrong.

I was honestly glad he was gone, but I wasn't sure if Balthazar would be any better because he never did anything seriously and when he did, it was frightening. I was genuinely scared to have him as a gym teacher in one of the iterations of this life.

"Thank goodness. Asmodeus, sucked!" Charlie whined, walking towards the front of the class, a big grin on her face.

"Charlie, hey!" I called and she tilted her head and looked at me, confusion clearly written across her face. "Can I talk to you for a moment, since it appears we won't actually do anything today?" I asked in confidence. The students were currently checking out their own instruments to borrow.

"Sure..." she trailed off.

I pulled her off to the side an quickly apologized for calling her despite us not having met before. Then I explained to her what was going on, telling her that she was my best friend through every iteration. She opened her mouth to ask a question. "Yes, you can use my life as a play. Just change the name and some plot points and it's all good."

"Have I..."

"Asked about it before. Ever since the 2nd time."

"Wait... how many versions have you gone through? How many times have you had your heart broken by Sam?" She asked, glancing at Sam who was staring at them like a kicked puppy. Gabe supposed it made sense. They were supposed to be best friends, not him and Charlie.

"At least 500... I lost count... just started estimating around 350."

"Oh gosh. I'm so sorry Gabe. That sucks."

"Whatever... I'm used to it."

"You shouldn't be though." And I knew that she meant it, but no matter how many times I heard it, I never believed it. I was meant to suffer. That could be the only explanation for why I had my heart broken a million times. It wouldn't make sense any other way, it couldn't have another reason because then it wouldn't be fair.

"Yeah... I know," I mumbled, smiling at her sadly. She pulled me into a tight hug and I closed my eyes, ignoring Sam's confused, and slightly hurt, look as a tear slid down my face, the only sign that I was still breaking.