Chapter 38

Sam

The bus pulled up, right outside of the park. I was already so excited. "Do you want to come with us Charlie?"

"Nah. I'm gonna hand with Lisa. Thanks though."

Gabe nodded in reply. I knew it seemed kind of rude, but I'm happy she wasn't with us. It was easier to sneak in and out of the maze with only two people, especially if her bright red hair wasn't giving us away. Everyone always wanted to follow me because I got out first. It wasn't happening this time.

Besides, I want to spend time with just Gabe. I felt we were finally getting somewhere in our friendship and this would be the perfect opportunity to get closer, to get to know him better.

When we were allowed off the bus, I grabbed Gabe's hand and ran towards the maze, excited to show him how good I was at it. Jess never wanted to go in, so I had to go by myself and then whenever I got out first, she was somewhere else in the park, or someone else had dragged her in.

We stopped just outside of the maze to go in after we caught our breath. Gabe ripped his hand away from mine and walked in. I frowned and followed after him a moment later.

"What was that for?"

"I just didn't want to hold your hand," he replied. For some reason, one I couldn't explain even if I tried, I was hurt by him saying that.

"O-okay." I mumbled. "This way," I said, turning left and he followed me wordlessly.  

 We just walked for a few minutes, we did have to turn around a couple of times and make our way back to take other paths. "Gabe, I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Grabbing your hand. I didn't mean to upset you, so I'm sorry," I mumbled, rubbing my neck awkwardly. He just shrugged it off, not saying anything, and I wasn't entirely sure if it was better or worse than him ignoring me earlier.

"Sam, I'm sorry. I know you must feel terrible. It's not just it's because it's you, but I just... I don't know. I don't really like people touching me and if I get comfortable enough around you then sure," he trailed off.

"I've touched you before? Why is it such a big deal now?"

"I don't know, Sam. Well, I do know, but it's none of your concern."

I paused, heart thundering in my ears. "What?"

"Sam, that wasn't... it wasn't... that wasn't what I meant."

"Well, that's what it sounds like to me," I trailed off, not looking at him.

"If I tell you, will you forgive me?" I just shrugged nonchalantly and he sighed. "You remember how I knew your name when we first met?" I nodded. "Well I had a dream, where I knew you, although I am almost 100% certain that it was not a dream, but like..."

"An alternate universe," I supplied. He looked to me, shocked and if I wasn't so proud that I got it right on the first try, then I would have probably would have found it odd that out of all the possibilities it could have been, I guessed the right one.

"Yeah," he paused, thinking about what to say next. 

"Your story, the one Charlie wants to turn into a play... that was us last time wasn't it?"

"Sort of," he mumbled, blushing bright red.

"What do you mean sort of?"

"We were in Drama,"

"Wait! I was in Drama? That doesn't seem likely." I looked at him skeptically.

"Yeah. They were trying to give the Freshman the opportunity to take whatever they wanted. You had gotten Drama and wanted to get STEM but he told you to try it out first. You ended up liking it, and were the lead in the play Charlie made, along with me. They did end up together in the end of the play, but outside of it, we didn't get together. We kinda fell for each other. Well, I fell for you hard and you fell for me a little, but were stressed because of your relationship with Jess."

"I was with Jess? A-And I liked you?" I was shocked to say the least. This all seemed so odd.

Without realizing it, we made our way out of the maze. Without really saying anything to each other, we headed towards the food tents. 

"Yeah," he mumbled and I realized that it seemed like I was disgusted by the idea.

"I'm not disgusted if that's what your thinking, but it's just surprising, that's all."

"It doesn't matter. We didn't get together. You were so confused about the whole thing, and you were talking to Jess after the performance and I,"

"What?" I was super curious to see what happened. It was like I was seeing the entire thing unfold before my eyes. It seemed familiar, but not to the point where I can definitely say that it was an alternate universe.

"Well, I told you it was okay, go be happy with her and you two were finally going to get married after the school year and I left. I planned on leaving the state, but then I woke up, so..."

"That's," I trailed off. It was really sad. I admire that he did that, but I felt so bad for him. "I'm sorry."

"Not your fault."

"It kind of is," I started, but he cut me off.

"No. It's not. It was my decision, not yours. Don't blame yourself for it. Besides, it might not even be real."

"I suppose," I trailed. "If it was an alternate universe though, how come I don't remember anything? Or Jess? Or Charlie? Or any of us?"

"I don't know." He shrugged.

"Well, whatever. Come on... let's go play some dumb Carnie games." I started pushing him towards the row of tents with balloons, and jugs, and the stupid duck game.