Chapter 22

Gabe

I was shocked to find Sam sitting in the nurse's office as well, but I didn't think too much about it once I saw Cas. His face was a mess of blood, a gash above his forehead, and bruises already beginning to form over his eye.

I rushed over to him, taking his face in my hands. I turned his head, gauging the extent of the injuries. He didn't look like he had any broken bones, but he was dirty and there were a few scrapes on his arm.

I pulled him into a hug, whispering about how sorry I was that I wasn't there for him.

"Gabe... It's okay."

"No. It's not okay... you look seriously hurt." I moaned and he chuckled slightly. "How'd you get away?"

"Sam. He... he jumped in to help." I nodded and told him I would be back. Then I headed over to Sam who was looking the other way. I kneeled in front of him, hoping to get his attention.

"Thank you for helping my brother, Sam." Sam didn't say anything. In fact, he looked a bit flushed and I wondered if he was sick or something. That would explain why he was in here. "Are you okay?"

He just nodded again. I waited for a moment, expecting him to say something. "Are you sure? You're not talking."

"Yes. I'm sure. Now... go check on your brother and leave me alone." he snapped. I was quite shocked to hear him snap at me. He never seemed like the kind of person to do that and the fact that he snapped at me, for some reason, hurt. I schooled my features, not wanting those calculating eyes to see how it hurt me.

"Okay then." I said. I turned away from him and went back over to my brother, heart pounding painfully and I wasn't sure why.

"Gabe..." he started, but I ignored him, not wanting to listen to him.

Just then, Jess rushed into the room and for some reason, that made the ache in my chest feel worse. She hugged Sam and I quickly looked away, ignoring all the gushing she was doing to Sam.

My back was tense the entire time, wanting to get out of here as fast as I could.

As though the nurse had read my mind, she came bustling back in, ice packs in her hand. She shooed Sam out of the office quickly and I sighed in relief. I felt Sam look at me one more time before he left. I dropped my head, feeling absolutely terrible for worrying about myself when Cas was literally bleeding in front of me.

The nurse helped clean him up, talking to him about what happened and what to do when he left. She then sent him on his way and he and Cas started walking to their first hour.

"I'm sorry for spacing out back there."

"What did Sam say?" Cas asked.

"Nothing. I just figured, he seemed alright and you looked terrible."

"That's not it. I know you Gabe... and I know that your entire mood changed after talking to Sam. What happened? Are you okay?"

I didn't answer him. Cas was really good at reading me. Unfortunately that was because we had known each other forever. I got along with him best.

"Gabe?"

"It's nothing. Hey... do you know who hurt you because I wanna kill them."

"Gabe, this is not the time for that. Please talk to me." Cas begged, but I shook my head. We arrived at the class. I was about to head in when Cas grabbed my hand. "Please Gabriel. I know something is going on."

I stood shocked for a moment. Cas never used my name. No one in our family, Anna aside, used full names. We all used nicknames. Lucifer was Luci, Balthazar was Bal, and Castiel was Cas... and I was Gabe. To hear someone other than Anna, call me by my full name was quite a shock.

"You know you can tell me anything right?" Cas said, snapping me out of my thoughts and thrusting me into a whole new set of them.

I did know that, but this... I didn't even know what this was. I didn't know why I was upset. I had just met Sam yesterday and barely knew him. People snapped at me all the time and I always brushed it off. So why did Sam snapping at me, affected me so much. It didn't make any sense. He couldn't say anything to Cas either, because he himself didn't know what was going on.

"Gabe?" Cas asked catiously, hand still on my wrist.

I looked up at him, meeting his eyes. He looked so worried. We never lied to each other. We always told each other everything and got through things together. I didn't deserve a brother like him. He was too sweet.

I looked away, already feeling bad about what I was going to do. I took a deep breath and yanked my hand from his.

"There's nothing to tell." I then turned and walked into the classroom, leaving behind a stunned Cas, hand still in the air where my arm had been just moments ago, and sat at my seat to take notes and ignore everything else for the rest of the day.

NOTE: Hey guys. I know this is a short chapter, but I needed to write how Gabriel felt about the matter at hand. I am really excited to continue this story, but I ask one thing from you guys... please help me come up with an idea on how to continue the high school part of the story. I have the entire play thing down, but I can't just skip from practice to practice. I would be missing a great opportunity to develop other relationships in other ways throughout the story, so please please please, help me come up with ideas on what to write. Thank you.-Captain