Chapter 40

Gabe

I usually loved science classes, but not on the days where we did experiments, especially dissecting frogs. I enjoyed cutting into the frogs, however the people in the class were the annoying ones. The class was full of people who pretended to be cool and strong and fearless and as soon as they have to cut into the dead frog, they become a screeching mess of nothing. Wimpy.

It wasn't that bad. We wore gloves and goggles as well as an apron. Most of them were even wearing long sleeves. It was disappointing to see them squeal, rushing away from the thing. It's dead. It can't attack.

"You alright there, Gabe?" Sam asked, watching me as I shook my head.

"Yeah. It's just... how can they say that they are tough if they freak out over a dead frog?"

"Just means they are really wimps. Not like us," he chuckled, elbowing me with a slight smile on his face, drawing my attention away from a huge man rocking back and forth in a ball.

"Yeah. Let's do this." I smiled, cutting open the frog. 

"Oh, cool! It's got little abs!" Sam's eyes widened and I couldn't help but chuckle as I watched him poke at the abs with his gloved finger, a glint in his eyes.

"You're such a dork," I wheezed. Sam put his hand to his chest, eyes wide and mouth open in mock hurt.

"How dare you say such a thing!?"

"I take it back. You're not a dork," I said, watching as he relaxed a bit, a smile on his face. "You are a drama Queen."

Sam looked as though he was about to protest, but shrugged accepting it. He bumped my shoulder, grinning like an idiot. "But seriously, these little abs are great. I didn't even know frogs could have abs," he muttered, obviously astounded by the fact.

"You didn't pay attention to the video yesterday did you?"

"Nope!"

"Figures," I mumbled, stomach fluttering as he smiled at me, eyes twinkling. "Come on, let's dissect this thing and show all those losers that it isn't that hard."

We both leaned in, sketching what the frog looked like as we cut into it further, moving around it's body parts. Sam's elbow brushed against mine and I blushed bright red, remembering the dream, or alternate universe, where we were so close, so so close to getting together.

A cough broke me out of my thoughts, causing me to shake my head.

"Are you alright man?" Sam inquired, head tilted slightly like a confused puppy and it was too adorable.

"Y-yeah... sorry just... staring off into space." He nodded slightly in understanding, watching as I coughed to cover the feeling of my heart in my throat. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm fine. Thank you though." Sam nodded again, leaning forward to continue inspecting the frog.

We both grabbed for the scalpel at the same time and I froze a second before yanking my hand back, nervous that he would see something there. I didn't want him knowing that I liked him. I wouldn't go through that again. I couldn't. Especially if he chose Jess again. I don't know if I would survive that.

I sighed, watching as a slight blush crept up his neck and he stared at me. "What?"

"You're just jumpy. Not like you at all. Are you sure you're okay?" He stalked closer to me, worry evident in his face, but I backed away, not wanting to get to close to him again. I was seriously contemplating asking the teacher if I could have a new partner. Surely some faker kid would be better than a completely distracting Sam.

He backed me up against the desk and grabbed my chin to force me to look at him, but I still wouldn't look his way, instead focusing on a spot on the floor. "Gabe," he started but was cut off by a harsh gasp from the classroom door. 

He turned to find Jess, face bright red, glaring at him as she rushed out of the room.

Sam glanced at me, then at the door before apologizing as he quickly left.

I slumped against the desk. I was hoping I was wrong. That he would choose me, but he's too faithful. He could never do that to her. I sighed, deciding that I needed to help him explain to her that it wasn't what it looked like.

Pushing myself off the desk, I followed them out into the hallway, prepared to help when I heard Jess yelling but she stopped and I pressed myself against the wall. Not wanting to leave when Sam could need my help, but not quite willing to step in yet.

"What were you doing Sam? What... what was that?" She asked, voice tight and I could tell that she was about to cry.

"Jess, babe... it isn't what it looks like. He was upset..."

"And what? You were gonna kiss him or something? Thanks Sam. That makes me feel great!"

"No! No, no. He wasn't telling me what was going on, so I was trying to get him to look at me so that I could find out what was wrong. I grabbed his chin so he couldn't turn away. Trust me... please. I love you. I have always loved you and always will... please. Just trust me. I would never trade you for anyone. He means... he means nothing to me in that sense. Nothing more than a friend who I was trying to help. Please understand that."

I slumped against the wall. Why couldn't I figure that out? I should have known that I would never be picked. Gods, why am I such an idiot?

I took a shaky breath, turning from the two of them, trying to hold back the tears in my eyes as I left. 

I couldn't handle talking to Sam every day knowing that he will never look at me the same way that I look at him. That rejection hurt me so much that I could barely breathe, couldn't think, didn't know which way I was going, just knowing that I had to get away from him... from them, before his heart was crushed any further. Before he couldn't find himself among the despair that would come from this moment, that would grow to eternity.