Chapter 49

Gabe

"Let's watch IT," I suggested, eager to finally see it. A plethora of people have told me that the movie is fairly chilling and I have been itching to find one that would actually haunt me.

"Sam," Dean called, waiting for Sam to hum in acknowledgement as he examined the movie titles again. "Do we have any ice cream?"

"Probably, why?" Dean smirked and started for the door, gesturing for us to follow.

With a huff, I stood, only marginally upset because I just relaxed, but if it involved ice cream, I suppose I could deal with it. Sam, Cas, and I trailed Dean into the kitchen where he seized the ice cream, a scoop, and root beer. I beamed, knowing that we were going to have root beer floats.

We all made our own and were situated around the island, eating, when Cas' erupted. We all jumped, chuckling as ice cream splattered the counter, root beer sliding down the cup, forming puddles on the counter and floor.

"Here, have mine," I prompted, plucking a dish towel off of the stove handle and cleaning up the mess.

"You don't want it?"

"I have candy upstairs, which I will eat most, if not all of it." Cas shrugged and watched as I cleaned up the mess.

Sam and Dean were being awfully quiet and I looked back to make sure they were all right. Sam immediately twisted, facing the other direction which caused me to tilt my head in confusion. Upon seeing my face, Dean's look of confusion, from knowing where everything was, no doubt, changed into a chuckle before full blown laughter as Sam swatted at him.

I shook my head, tossing the hand towel into the hamper and returning, where everyone was finishing up their floats. "Cas," I started as we headed up the stairs again. He just hummed. "How did your drink explode?"

He paused in the middle of the stairway, Dean whirled around to see what made him stop. "I... have no clue. I didn't think that root beer floats could explode."

"I didn't either."

"That's because they don't," Sam proclaimed. "Now hurry up so we can watch some scary movies!"

We all hurried upstairs, settling ourselves down on the floor, blankets pulled around us, pillows underneath us as Sam popped the movie in and started it. The movie was slow. I've seen movies before that were nearly four hours long, but they were never slow, this one though, just over 3 hours long, made me almost fall asleep. The only reason I didn't, was because I wanted to watch another horror movie. That, and Sam seemed genuinely spooked.

There were a few eerie parts—Ben's father in his Uniform, beckoning Ben into the sewer and the death of Laurie Anne Winterbarger, a young girl who thought she was just playing hide and seek with a nice clown— but nothing that really stood out.
It probably was more sinister when it first came out than now, but it was still good. When the credits rolled, I noticed Cas stalking towards it warily, as though it might bite his hand off. I almost wanted to yell and scare him, but I decided against it.

Sam leaned back, staring at the empty bowl in his hands. "What now?"

"How about a horror movie where the people are just stupid. That would be a good one to check out, just to laugh at how ridiculous people are," Cas advised.

"How about The Ring?" Cas nodded and so did the others.

"I'm going to go get some popcorn and more waters. Come with me Gabe?" Dean asked and I couldn't help but frown. Dean wanted me to come with him?

"U-uh, sure." I gather the empty water bottles as he snagged the bowls and silently followed him downstairs. Once down there, I acquired a few new ones and placed them on the counter, leaning against it awkwardly, anticipating whatever Dean was going to say, because there is no way he would ask me down here over Cas unless he had something to say.

"Gabe-" he started, trailing off a moment to gather his thoughts. It looked like there were quite a few things he wanted to ask about. Maybe it would be about how I knew where everything was, or maybe to tell me to keep my distance, or maybe to ask about Cas. I hope it's the last one. "Do you like Sam?"

I recoiled. "W-what?"

"Do you like Sam?"

"Why would you ask me that?" Dean just shrugged, but I could tell that he wasn't going to let me go until I answered the question. With a sigh, I closed my eyes, steeling myself for the reaction I would probably receive. "I... Maybe. He is really nice and cute, and we share common interests. He's my type and everything, but... even if I do like him, I can't do anything."

"Why not? He is interested in guys."

"I know, but I just- I can't." Dean started to protest, but I cut him off. "I've been hurt one too many times by guys I considered sweet, people I assumed I could trust. I can't do it again."

It was silent a moment and I looked up, nervous to see Dean's reaction. "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You two have known each other for years. You should know now that he wouldn't hurt you. There is no guarantee that he likes you, but he would let you know, not lead you on, and he wouldn't be rude about it either. You should know that." Dean huffed, obviously angry at me for saying something like that.

"You don't... you know what... never mind," I muttered, clutching the water bottles and shifting to leave.

Dean grips my wrist, preventing me from leaving. I tug at it gently, not really wanting to rip my hand away, but not really wanting to stay there either. "Don't what? Don't understand?" I nodded. "What don't I understand, Gabe?"

"Let me go," I whisper, gently tugging again, my eyes filling with tears because I know that Dean is going to hear it and I'm going to sound crazy and I wish this damn timeline would be over already.

"Gabriel, what do I not understand?" There was care in his voice, pure concern and love for someone he hasn't actually met before recently and I couldn't bear to hear it. I've heard it too much already.

"Dean, I just can't. He's broken me before and I can't live through that again. I just can't," I murmured.

"What?" Dean breathed. I just shook my head, pulling my wrist from his limp hand and headed upstairs, leaving behind a disconcerted Dean.

Only once I reached the top of the stairs did I realize that I told him that Sam broke me before. I hadn't meant to. That was meant to stay something between me and Charlie, but I let it slip.

I was about to go and say something, but Sam opened the door, a large grin on his face as he pulled me into the room, stealing a water bottle from me.

It could wait for another day.