Chapter 58

Sam

"I'm bored," Dean whined for the thousandth time. "Let's do something."

"What should we do then?" I asked, slamming my pencil down exasperatedly.

Dean paused, pondering it for a moment before his eyes lit up. "Snowball fight!"

"Yeah," Gabe cheered, glancing at me excitedly and all the argument I had vanished in a single breath.

Gabe was so hopeful. I had to agree. "Alright," I said, smiling as I watched Gabe jump and cheer, hair flopping around, a gleam in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes when Dean gave me a knowing smirk.

We all changed into more wintry clothes before heading outside.

I immediately shivered at the sudden burst of cold air.

"I wanna be on Sam's team!" Gabe yelled and my heart warmed.

Cas and Dean immediately agreed and we ran of, splitting up to start setting up our bases. "5 minutes!" Dean shouted.

I giggled as we ran and then I tripped over a tree root, landing on top of Gabe, who had turned to ask me something.

I paused, unwilling to move and ruin a quiet moment, and it was clear that Gabe didn't want to move either. I leaned towards him slowly, loving the way his eyes gleamed and the way that the snow glittered on his cheeks, sparkling in his eyelashes.

There was a cold stinging on my cheek and I turned, glaring at Dean as snow melted on my cheek, falling onto Gabe's coat. "5 minutes are up, lovebirds!"

I chuckled, pushing myself up, wiping the snow on my pants before offering a hand to help Gabe up. I thought, for a moment, that he looked disappointed, but when I looked at him again, he appeared completely fine and my heart sank a little.

I couldn't tell where I stood with him sometimes.

I got hit in the face with another snowball, not noticing that the fight had even started.

"Come on, slowpoke!" Dean called.

I laughed, rolling a ball and launching it. My aiming was slightly off and I ended up hitting Gabe square in the chest, causing him to stumble back a little bit.

"Screw the teams," he muttered, grabbing a snowball, eyeing me.

I groaned and ran, trying to avoid Gabe's snowball.

I hid behind a tree, laughing as it hit the ground to my right. I peeked around the tree, sticking my tongue out at Gabe who started running towards me, slipping on the snow.

I laughed harder and missed the snowball flying right at me. The ball hit me with enough force to screw with my balance, causing me to trip. I landed in the snow, laughing.

I took a couple deep breaths, staring at the sky as snow started to fall silently, settling once again, covering the world in a blanket of pure beauty.

"Are you alright Sammy?" Dean asked, extending a hand towards me, which I grabbed.

"I'm fine," I muttered as he hauled me to my feet. I grabbed a snowball and smashed it into Dean's face and giggled at the growl that left him. I turned and ran, not waiting to see what Dean would do when he recovered form the shock.

"SAM!"

He started chasing me down, but Cas sent a snowball flying at him, diverting his attention. Gabe threw a ball, attempting to hit Dean as well, but he missed by a long shot, hitting me in the face and I growled, looking for him.

Once my eyes fell on him, I smirked, running after him, kicking up snow in my wake. Gabe squeaked, running around a bush, hoping to get away. I chucked a ball at him, giggling when it hit him. I ran from him, dodging behind a tree, but I didn't quite make it behind it before Gabe grabbed my waist, pulling me with enough force that I fell backwards, barely managing to twist in time so that I could catch myself.

Gabe lay below me, cheeks rosy and breaths quiet. We were close enough that I could feel his breath on my cheek.

I didn't move, once again enjoying the moment.

I could see the war raging in Gabe's eyes and even if I don't know what it was about, I was sure when he made up his mind.

He set his jaw and took a deep breath and I prepared myself for his dismissal, for his rejection, but I was pleasantly surprised when he surged up, capturing my lips.

I breathed a sigh through my nose, eyes closed as I brought my hand up to cup his head, bringing him closer.

We pulled apart for a breath and I still fully expected him to pull away and leave me again, but it looked like he was actually going to kiss me again.

"Kids!" Mary called and Gabe fell back onto the snow, the moment broken and I hung my head, hair falling in my face. "You've been out a while. Come inside."

I sighed, pushing away from Gabe, giving him a hand to pull him up.

We headed inside, changing into pajamas.

Gabe awkwardly avoided me the entire time and my heart sank once again.

Why was he avoiding me? He was the one that kissed me.

"Gabe?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"That's not what I..."

"I'm fine, Sam. Just drop it," he whispered, leaving the room.

I sighed sadly, shaking my head.

I grabbed a blanket and settled on the couch by myself, pulling the blanket up to my chin.

I couldn't even take joy in watching one of my favorite movies, instead watching as Gabe whispered with Dean angrily.