Chapter 21

Sam

I walked out of the school, a smile on my face as I made my way to Dean's car. "What's with the smile?"

"I got a leading role for the school play."

Excited about the role he got... a little upset Jess didn't get a role... and nervous because the other guy role was to be played by Gabe who I was beginning to like.

"That's great." Dean said, ushering me into the car. We drove home and went to bed, neither of us really wanting to eat dinner.

The next time I woke up, it was to my alarm blaring. I turned it off, looking at the time and cursed. Crap! I was late. I rushed around my room, grabbing my clothes, hoping that I wouldn't be too late.

I didn't take a shower, just quickly pulled on the clothes and grabbed a bagel from my mother before rushing out of the house towards Dean's car. He was chuckling as he watched me comb my hair in the car mirror.

"What?" I snapped.

"I've just never seen you late. It's really funny." I glared at him and we took off towards the school. I sighed upon our arrival because Dean drove really fast, so there was time to spare before the bell rang for first hour. I thanked him, climbing out of the car, and began walking towards the front doors of the school, only to stop in my tracks.

"Please... stop..." someone was begging. I looked around frantically, hearing some kids laughing and another crying. I found the source not too long after.

It was the "Demon Kids", as everyone called them. The group consisted of four people. Two females, two males. They walked around school liked they owned the place. The two females were Lilith, who was bright blonde and always looked ready to kill someone, and Abaddon, who looked like she stepped out of the 50's and into the world we live in today. They never really got their hands dirty. Lilith usually slept with the guys and Abaddon just flirted with them. They were always in control of the guys.

The guys were Alastair, who had a really noticeable lisp and was always willing to beat someone up, and Azazel, who was also always willing to beat someone up. Azazel had bright yellow eyes and it was hard to tell whether they were contacts or not. It was possible they were real, just very rare.

Alastair and Azazel were beating up some poor boy on the ground. They were all laughing as the boy writhed and curled up into a fetal position, covering his head, in hopes of not being kicked there. I decided that they had enough of their joking and walked up to them.

"Hey! Leave him alone!" I yelled.

Alastair's head snapped up and he shook it, slowly as Azazel continued kicking the poor kid. I couldn't let them continue to hurt this boy though, so I rushed over and grabbed Azazel's arm. He whirled around and hit me in the face.

I stumbled back, clutching my face, before I lunged back at him, clawing at his throat. The girls continued laughing as I wrestled Azazel to the ground. I punched him in the face so that we would be even. I had done it so hard though, that his nose started bleeding and that's when the two girls stopped laughing.

"What the hell is going over here!" a female shouted and relief flooded my body as the four kids scrambled away. Our school's security guard made her way over to me and the broken boy, a scowl on her face. "Sam?"

"Sorry Officer Mills." I stammered, looking at her with wide eyes. She waited patiently for me to tell her what was going on. "The... the De... um.. a group of kids was beating up this kid and I intervened."

"Okay. I believe you. Go to the nurses office... both of you." she said. She then turned and began looking for the four kids. I didn't have to tell her who they were for her to know. They were notorious for doing this sort of thing. I helped the kid up, taking in his appearance. He looked slightly familiar, but I couldn't place who he was.

"Are you okay?"

"A little beat up... but yeah. I'll be fine." he whispered. I nodded and helped him to the nurses office. "Why was Officer Mills so lenient with you?"

"She has known my brother and I for a while. We helped her get her job here as a security guard after she got seriously injured on the force." I explained. The boy nodded and I helped him sit down once we arrived.

"Nurse Harvelle?" I called out and smiled as she poked her head around the corner.

"What can I do for you today Sam?" She asked, coming nearer to the two of us. "Oh, my lord. What happened?"

"Abaddon and his pal were beating him up." I replied. She nodded, walking around to inspect the other boy.

"It doesn't appear that anything is broken. I'll just go get some ice packs to help you two heal up as well as some bandages for you." she said, pointing at the other boy. She then turned and left to retrieve the ice packs and I turned to the boy to ask him a question.

Just then, Gabriel rushed in. My eyes widened when I saw Gabe rush over to the boy and it took me a second to realize that it was Castiel who was sitting beside me. Gabe grabbed Cas' cheek, turning his head this way and that to see the extent of the damage. I couldn't help but stare in awe at how loving Gabe was to his brother.

My heart fluttered at the thought and I turned away so that I wouldn't see Gabe, because I was in a relationship and shouldn't be feeling these things for another person.

Gabriel walked over to me and kneeled in front of me. "Thank you for helping my brother, Sam." he said quietly. I nodded in reply, not quite trusting myself to speak. "Are you okay?" I nodded again.

"Are you sure? You're not talking."

"Yes. I'm sure. Now... go check on your brother and leave me alone." I snapped. Gabe's face turned into one of shock and then hurt, before it turned into one of stone.

"Okay then." he said, turning away from me and leaving to care for his brother. My heart felt as though it shattered in that moment. I hurt Gabe and I hadn't meant to. I was always doing that.

"Gabe..." I started, but he didn't even seem like he acknowledged that I was talking to him, and I realized that he probably didn't want to listen to me. I sighed, and rested my head in my hands. I am such an idiot.

I opened my mouth to try again, but Jess runs in as soon as I did. She rushed over to me and hugged me. "Are you okay? Oh my goodness. You have a black eye. What happened? W..." she fussed, but I just tuned her out, not wanting to hear what she had to say at the moment.

"I'm okay. I promise." I said, looking behind her to see Gabe, who's back was now slouched as though he was upset. He probably was and it was my fault too

He probably didn't want to talk to me again. He probably wouldn't and there was no reason he would have to, except for the play. He would have to then. What if he dropped the role because he didn't want to talk to me again? Maybe he didn't want to see me.

I sighed again as the nurse came in. She handed me an ice pack and instructed me to hold it to my eye for a while. Then she shooed me out of the office and to my first hour.

Before I left the office though, I looked back to see Gabe one last time, hoping to see him looking back, but he wasn't. He was just staring at the wall, a look of sorrow on his face.