Chapter 50

Dean

What did Gabriel mean by, 'He's broken me before?' When did that happen? What happened? Did Sam really do something to hurt his best friend and not say anything about it? Maybe he did, just not to me.

"I should go ask Charlie," I muttered, walking upstairs, resolving to ask her about it tomorrow morning.

~~~~

We headed towards the school, the others cheerily chatting about random things, Gabe making fun of Sam for being so terrified of Pennywise and Sam swatting at him with a large smile on his face.

No matter how happy they seemed, I couldn't help but think about what Gabriel had said last night.

He's broken me before.

It didn't seem like it, especially since they were both blushing like buffoons, despite it being like 80 out.

"Are you alright?" Cas inquired, startling me from my thoughts.

"Yes, yes. I'm fine. I'm just thinking is all."

"What about?"

I cursed under my breath. I couldn't tell him what happened or what I was actually thinking about. "You," I blurted, blushing as I realized what I just said.

"Me? What about me?"

"I... uh... Cas, would you like to go out with me? On a date? This weekend?" I asked, nervously messing with the hem of my shirt. That's not how I wanted to ask.

"Sure. Let's talk about it later yeah?" I nodded, unable to speak as I watched him walk towards Gabriel, throwing an arm around him and guiding him into the school. I noticed Gabe looking at me out of the corner of his eye, watching intently to see what I said to Cas as they chatted about the teachers.

As soon as I am inside the school, I head towards Charlie, who is still writing her story, much more animated this time though.

As I approached, Jessica swooped in, landing a kiss on her cheek. Charlie put her pencil down, eyes alight as they discussed their movie date last night. I shake my head.

I'll just ask her later, when she isn't preoccupied.

As band class rolls around, I find Charlie sitting on the floor towards the back of the room, eating marshmallows and writing. I hesitantly sit next to her, unsure if I actually want to ask her about it.

"Hey, Dean!"

"Hey..."

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" she asked, frowning.

"I um... I have a question."

"Shoot."

"Do you know what happened between Gabe and Sam?"

She tenses slightly, immediately, the gleam in her eye leaving and if I hadn't known her for years, I wouldn't have noticed. "What do you mean? They look fine."

"That's what I thought, too, but last night Cas and Gabe stayed the night at our house," I started.

"Oh, that's nice. How did that go? What did you do?" she queried, innocently.

"We watched a couple of horror movies," I shook my head. "Don't try to change the topic Charlie. Please." She nodded and I took a deep breath, debating whether I really wanted to do this or not. "Last night, Cas and Gabe stayed the night at our house. All was going well until Gabe and I went downstairs for some back up popcorn and water while Sam was setting up the movie. I asked him if he liked Sam and we had a whole conversation about it, but something he said stood out to me. He told me that he couldn't like Sam because 'He's broken me before.'"