Chapter 24

Gabe

The day was one long, painful, disaster. It was like watching a train wreck from the inside.

After my conversation with Cas that morning, I hadn't said a thing, unless the teacher called on me, of course, and why would I? I didn't even feel like I could talk, even if I had wanted to, like a scream that no one hears in your worst nightmare when your about to die.

It didn't matter though, because I didn't want to talk.

I don't know why Sam pushing me away had felt so bad. It wasn't his fault, of course. I mean, I knew that he wasn't really the kind of person to open up about anything and I just... I pushed too hard to try and get him to do just that.

If it was anyone's fault really, it was mine then and that just made me feel terrible about the whole ordeal.

Lunch was terrible too. I thought it would have blown over by then, but he didn't look like he was going to say anything, so I just looked down at my food, ignoring everyone as I played with it.

I had actually been looking forward to the end of the day, wanting to just go home and relax, get some time to myself to think about everything. Naturally, as I was headed for the doors, Cas had to remind me that I had practice today.

"Thanks Cas." I sighed.

I didn't really want to go to practice because if it still hadn't blown over, then it was going to be much worse.

"Yeah."

I felt terrible about earlier. I had hurt him too, without really trying. I was just trying to figure myself out. Figure out why I was so hurt by Sam's comment and I couldn't do that with Cas pushing to know why I was so upset... and I just kind of, snapped.

I shook my head to rid myself of the thoughts and gave him a tight smile. "Sorry about earlier." I said as I left for the auditorium, not waiting to see if Cas would accept it or not.

I lived with him... I could find out later.

I stood in front of the auditorium doors, collecting my thoughts, taking a deep breath as I raised my hand to push the door open. I had to push my feelings aside, not wanting to anger Bobby for starting problems in the rehearsal.

I finally pushed the doors open, quickly apologizing when everyone looked to me startled.

My breath caught, for reasons I didn't understand, when my eyes met Sam's. He was staring at me, wide eyed, before he quickly recovered. His face fell into a mask of calmness as he looked away from me.

Anger bubbled in my chest at that.

He shouldn't be allowed to look away like he was mad at me, or hurt by something I had done. I had tried to see if he was okay for goodness sakes because I cared. If anyone should be mad it should be me because of the way that he reacted, not the other way around.

I quickly shook my head, pushing the thoughts and feelings aside.

I needed to focus. It wouldn't do to dwell on my emotions when we had work to do.

I gulped, suddenly realizing how late I was as I made my way up to the stage. I was just waiting for Bobby to yell at me, feeling like an idiot for making him wait, but I was quite shocked when he did the opposite.

"Finally, not that everyone is here, we can start rehearsals. Charlie and I have talked about it and, because we just started today, we decided that we would do a few easier scenes." Bobby yelled, clapping his hands to get the attention of his students.