Chapter 61

Gabe

"How could I be so dumb?" Gabe asked, nearly bawling as Charlie merely watched him.

"You're not dumb," Charlie consoled him, or attempted to anyway, patting his back awkwardly. She'd never seen him like this before and it was off putting.

"Yes, I am. I had the person I've been in love with for, God knows how long, right in front of me, telling me he liked me back. And I ran away. Why in the world did I run away?" Gabe asked, tearing up, sniffling quietly.

"You didn't want to get hurt?" she supplied.

"I can't talk to them, even if I desperately want to. I can't even look at him because I feel so guilty," Gabe continued as though he didn't even hear her, which in his state, is entirely possible.

"Gabe," Charlie spoke softly, grabbing his arms to grab his attention. "Breath. Don't work yourself into a frenzy."

"I don't deserve you," he mumbled, hugging her as the tears finally began to fall.

Charlie wraps her arms around him, swaying the gently back and forth until he falls asleep.

"You two will be fine," she whispers, kissing his forehead.

~~~

"I'm sorry I ruined the dance for you," I muttered to Charlie the next morning.

"Nah. That was the most interesting that happened all night," she assured.

"Are you sure?" I asked warily.

"Yeah. I just wish that you two could make up," she muttered, the last part so quiet I almost didn't hear her.

"Me too."

"Then why don't you do something about it?" Charlie nearly shouted, frustration clear in her voice.

"I don't want to," I stated, sounding much more confident than I actually felt.

"Gabe," she sighed, shaking her head. "This thing own't fix itself. You have to do something."

"I-I can't," I whispered, tears welling up again hear thudding loudly in my chest.

"Yes, you can," she answered back, looking at me, nearly pleading me to understand what she's saying, but she doesn't understand.

"No! I can't," I shouted, imploring Charlie to understand, trying to keep back my tears.

"Jeez, Gabriel. Just talk to him. I'm sure you'd work it out," she shouted at me angrily.

"I can't, Charlie!" I shouted again, this time the tears fell quietly down my face.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm scared," I shouted, falling silent, turning form her so that she couldn't see my tears.

"What?" she croaked.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself, keep the tears out of my voice.

"I'm scared. I'm absolutely terrified that if I let this happen, that he'll leave again, just like every other time. Yes, I know it's different. You and Jess are together this time, but I can't help but feel that he'll leave again. If not for Jess than some other girl, or worse, some nice guy and I'll be left to dry and wallow in my tears again, feeling stupid for actually believing that this time could be any different."