Chapter 21

~Annabel's POV~

I woke at 8:56. I rubbed my eyes, and waited for them to adjust to the bright sunlight that streamed through my window, before getting up to get ready for the day. After brushing my teeth, and washing my face, I walked back into my bedroom, and changed into a pair of distressed jean shorts, and a simple black v-neck. I brushed some mascara onto my lashes, before meeting my family downstairs.

"Morning," I spoke.

"Good morning sweetie." My parents chorused back.

"Where's Josh?" I asked, opening the fridge.

"Sleeping." My mom answered. "Sweetie, there's another annual ball at the Midnight Bay. It'll be held at the end of June."

"I know, Josh told me last night."

"Now I already have six dresses picked out for you-"

"Mom, that's so many." I groaned.

"I know, but you're only going to wear one. I just have six for you to choose one."

"Okay," I sighed.

"I also need you to take someone with. Since Danny is no longer with you," She tensed up at these words. "you will have to find someone else."

"Fine." I responded. I don't know if I've ever even loved Danny. When I was with him, I felt obligated to put on a show for my mother, when I didn't even feel strongly for him. More and more, I am beginning to realize how much control my mother has on my life.

"We will need to go to a dinner tonight, at the country club. If you're going out this morning, I'll need you back here at 5 PM, sharp." She spoke, sternly. I nodded, and pushed my chair out, causing a loud scraping on the floor. I walked away, in order to avoid an argument. I felt myself getting fed up with her orders, and demands. I was old enough to make my own decisions. I took deep breaths, as I attempted to walk calmly up the curved staircase. I brushed my hair out, and stayed upstairs for a couple of minutes, before heading back down.

"I'm going out." I announced.

"Where?" My mother wondered.

"The mall."

"Do you have money? Pick up some new shoes for the ball, and for the dinner. I have a dress for you tonight, so no need to look for a new one. Remember, 5 PM sharp, Annabel. Don't be late." She warned. I mumbled a quick goodbye, before slipping on my black converse, and walking out the door. The weather was nice, it was hot, but there was a cool breeze that balanced it out. I climbed into the burning car, and turned on the engine, immediately rolling down the windows. I backed out of the driveway, and dialed Lilly's number, and put it on speaker.

"Hello?"

"Hey, what're you doing?" I asked.

"Just chilling. Come over."

"I'm on my way to the mall, I'll pick you up. You going to the dinner tonight?"

"Yeah, Dad forced me to go."

"Alright, I'll be at your house in 5 minutes." I spoke, stopping at a red light. We said our goodbyes, and I hung up the phone, and waited for the light to turn green. I switched the radio on, and went between stations until I found a song that I liked. I settled with Wild Love, and leaned back in my seat. The light turned green, and I stepped

on the pedal, and made my way to Lilly's house.

"Hey." I smiled, as she climbed into the passenger's seat.

"Hey, do you already have a dress?" Lilly asked, as she buckled her seatbelt.

"Yeah, of course. You know my mom, she likes to choose things for me." I said in an annoyed tone.