Chapter 24

~Lilly's POV~

I admit, I was late. And dirty. And nothing close to being presentable, but that doesn't matter. I was hoping Annabel wouldn't notice, but with the damage that was caused, I didn't think I would get away with it, and of course, I didn't. I was lucky to have a best friend like Annabel, helpful with everything. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't tell her, I couldn't. I didn't want her to worry for me, it'll only break her already fragile heart even more. I pulled myself together, and headed to the dinner that I couldn't miss. And of course, I wasn't put next to Annabel. I was practically on the other side of the room from her, and she was sitting next to Harry. Out of everyone at the damn dinner, she had to be placed next to Harry. I couldn't help but watch them, keeping an eye on Annabel. She seemed to look pretty content, like she had no problem with sitting next to that asshole. I hope she makes the right decision in the long run, and stays away from him.

The dinner was to my liking, but not amazing. I've never been a huge drinker, but I had a few glasses of wine here and there, to ease my pain. After the main course, it was dessert time, which meant you got to socialize around, as long as you were in a seat. I desperately needed to talk to Annabel, about her staying away from Harry, but when I looked at the table, she wasn't there. And neither was Harry. Where the hell would they have gone? My adrenaline began to rise, and the glasses of wine I had earlier wasn't exactly helpful in this situation. I was nervous, scared out of my mind, just picturing what they may be up to. The last thing I wanted, was for Annabel to be hurt. She won't be able to handle it.

I scanned the room quickly, making sure they were actually gone, and they were. I grabbed the nearest glass of wine, not caring whose it was, and finished the glass, only to slam it back onto the table, and headed out the fancy double doors.

"God dammit, Annabel." I mumbled to myself, as I scurried down the halls, trying not to trip on the heels I was wearing. "I told you to stay away from him." I hurried past each door, looking into each and every one for a brief moment, before continuing down the, what seemed like a never-ending hallway. It seemed as if the two weren't anywhere. In no room, at all. Every room I checked, there was no sight of any human being, and it wasn't easy running in a dress and heels. Being half drunk didn't help the situation either. And then something cliché happened. Just as I was about to give up, I stopped, leaning against a doorframe, trying to catch my breath. And when I look up? There it is. What I've been looking for. My best friend, and a guy I've been stressing for her to stay away from. But that isn't all I come across. I come across them kissing. But instead of being disgusted like I would expect to be, I was filled with pain. The kind of pain, that made me feel guilty about telling her to stay away from Harry. I felt pain, for Annabel. For being such a horrible friend, and trying to break her, and what could possibly hold her together, apart. I felt the pain of jealousy, because I saw the way Harry was kissing her, and I knew I would never get anything like that at all. I swallowed what's left of my pride, and let the tears that were building up in my eyes, flow down my cheeks. I snuck away from the door, and put my back against the wall next to the room, and cried.

______________

After silently sobbing against, a wall, for a bit, I took a deep breath. I gained the courage, and approached the doorframe, once again, coming into view. But of course, there was no notice from the two, because they were too busy sharing a real love, and getting lost in each other's eyes.

"Annabel?" I called out, after pondering over whether I should speak up or not. The two eyes shot over to the door, and locked on mine.

"Lilly," She frowned, nervously looking back at Harry.

"Can I.. talk to you?" I was on the verge of tears again. I watched as Annabel slowly looked back at Harry, and then to me. She took a breath, and nodded slightly, following me out of the room.