Chapter 27

~Annabel's POV~

The Ball was approaching quite quickly, and I still didn't have a date to the dance. I asked myself multiple times, why it wasn't this hard every year, and that's when I remembered- Danny wasn't my boyfriend anymore. And now, my current boyfriend didn't even want to go with me. I sat in my bedroom, my nose buried into Sense and Sensibility, flipping pages, even though I didn't pay attention to what I was reading at all. I finally gave up, looking up, and out the window, at the sun streaming in. Maybe all I needed was some fresh air. I closed the book, marked with Leah's bookmark, and set it on the nightstand by my bed. I opened the drawers of my dresser, grabbing a pair of distressed jean shorts, and a flowered tank top. I decided to slip on a cream colored knitted cardigan over, just in case I got cold. I walked down the staircase, and into the kitchen.

"Where are you going?" My mother "greeted" me.

"Out," I responded plainly.

"Yes, Annabel, but where?" She spoke, with a bit of edge to her voice.

"I don't know, the café?" I shrugged. That wasn't a lie, I really didn't know where I would be going. But I knew that I wanted to stop by, and get myself a frappuccino, if possible.

"Alright, be careful." She sighed, biting into a cherry. I grabbed my keys, and my bag, and headed out the door. It was quite hot outside, so I decided to walk. No harm done, right? I get the fresh air, and the exercise.

I crossed the street, as the walking symbol lit up. The wind blew through my hair, as I stepped onto the curb. I made my way through the busy sidewalks, careful not to bump into anyone. I finally reached the small café at the corner, and pushed the door open, being greeted by a whoosh of cold air. It felt good, to be in an air conditioned place, after walking in 80 degree weather. I walked up to the counter, and pulled out my wallet.

"Hi," The girl behind the register spoke. "what can I get you?" She smiled widely, showing off her perfect white teeth.

"Can I have a Caramel Frappuccino?" I asked, looking up at the menu behind her.

"Sure, is that all?" She asked, punching in some things on the register. I nodded my head, as she told me my final price. Handing her the money, I waited for my change, until walking to the other counter to wait for my drink. The blonde girl's eyes still followed me and my movements, as I made my way to the other side. Her hair was in a high ponytail, with a visor hat on her head, which was a part of their uniform. I collected my drink when my order was called, and made my way to the comfy seating area. I stabbed the straw into the soft whipped cream, and the frothy drink, and took a long sip. The cold liquid ran down my throat, and pleasured my taste buds. I pulled out my phone, checking to see if I had any messages. There were 3 new ones, and I opened the first. It was from Harry.

From Harry: I miss you.

I smiled at the simple, but thoughtful text message, before checking the second one, from Josh.

From Josh: Where are you?

I texted back a quick response letting him know that I was at the café, before checking the last message.

From Harry: Come over.

I smiled once again, at his message, knowing that I was on his mind. It made me feel good. I responded to him, telling him that I missed him as well, but I chose not to say anything about coming over to his house. As much as I wanted to see him, and hang out with him, I wanted the time to myself, to think about what to do about the upcoming dance, and who I should take with me. I was far into my thoughts, not paying any attention to the magazine I was flipping through, until someone sat infront of me.