Sebastian De Poitiers- Princess (c)

Reign One Shot

To be Queen was a daunting thought, even though you were princess from birth it had never truthfully sunk in that you were the one to be ruling over your country. After your parents had died, your uncle had taken over the duties that would be yours, waiting until you were to be an adult and capable of ruling by yourself.

In light of your upcoming coronation, you had been sent to speak with dignitaries across Europe to not only settle your name as queen to be seen by all but to also find your possible future husband and prince consort. Your last stop before heading back to your home nation was the French court. Henry and Catherine welcomed you with open arms, unlikely for your benefit but rather that it showed them as useful to your country. The people of your country didn't want you to rule. There had never been a Queen before, however with the power that your country held, it benefitted France to support you as you would be able to help them if they were ever in a tight spot.

You had been there for a fair while, and although you honestly would have rather been at home in your country, there was something- rather someone- that made you want to stay in the French court. From day one the bastard son of the king had caught you eye and now months into your visit and secret courting you were now having to tell the king what was going to happen.

As expected, they weren't happy.

"That cannot be," Catherine yelled in annoyance, raising from her throne.

"I do not allow it," Henry added.

Bash held onto your hand to reassure you that his father and step mother were overreacting, however you knew that was the case and hoped that they would just give in soon enough.

"The bastard son marrying a princess," Catherine scoffed. "It is unheard of. It will destroy your reputation and ours. Who could take you seriously in this?"

It was enough to push you over the edge. You dropped Bash's hand, giving him a sympathetic smile before flattening out your skirt in an attempt to make yourself seem more presentable to assert your princess responsibility.

"Frankly your highness, I do not believe you have any say in this decision," you stated firmly.

"Y/N-" Henry started but you cut him off.

"I think you'll find it is Princess Y/N. And I am to be Queen. No arranged marriage was prepared for me, therefore I am able to pick whomever I wish to marry. I happen to wish to marry your son. He may not have a title and he may be considered a disappointment in your eyes but I love him. I love Sebastian. I am not one of your subjects. You have no control over my decisions. If you still have issue to this then I apologise greatly and I shall leave, I shall leave with Sebastian at my side," you frowned.

Both of them looked rather shocked by your words. Since you had been at the French court you had seemed somewhat submissive, so you standing up for what you believed and wanted was out of the ordinary. Not wanting to hear what they said, you took Bash's hand once more leading him out of the room.

"You didn't have to do that Princess-"

"Do not refer to me as Princess Y/N," you said softly. "I am not your princess, I am to be your wife, and we shall rule my country whether that removes ties with France or not."

He couldn't help but smile at you.

"I do love you, with all my heart," he smiled.

"I love you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by