Betty Cooper- Bullies (c)

Riverdale One Shot

Breaks between class were your least favourite time of day. You enjoyed learning, and unless you were able to find solace in the library, you were forced to mingle with your peers, something that could never end well. With football practice on, no one was sat in the stands, so you took a place in the middle, to read a book. With the distance between you and the football pitch it was quiet enough, giving you the time and space to get lost in the pages of fiction, one of your favourite things in the world.

You allowed yourself to fall into the pages, losing time to the fictitious world you desired to be in rather than a high school where you were an outcast. Time passed by, football practice ending and leaving you to see the boys head towards the changing rooms and showers, minus several who made their way up the steps towards you.

You had never made too much conversation with the jocks, they were never the type of people you enjoyed socialising with and this was a perfect example why. They didn't allow any polite words to be shared, simply beginning to spew harassment towards you due to you being different.

Being different within a school was almost like a plague. No one wished to be near you and anyone who came to close lashed out at you to make it clear you were nothing compared to them. It was a painful system to live under. You wished you could be considered more, than because you liked keeping your nose in a book it meant you were merely nothing. You hated the life you lead here but you were never going to change to fit in, if no one wanted you there, then why would you want to be there.

The boys threw hateful words towards you, tears brimming in your eyes just giving them more reason to make fun of you. You hated the weakness they made you feel.

Before you could even stutter out a word, you saw the blond hair of your only friend as she made her way towards you.

"What's going on?" Betty questioned.

One of the jocks attempted to say something but she cut them off.

"As I thought, nothing important or necessary, leave her alone and go get showered, you stink," she frowned.

They tried to argue but Betty wasn't willing to take any of it, simply leaving them to walk away from you. Once they were a good few steps down from the two of you, Betty reached out a hand to rest on your shoulder.

"Are you okay?" She asked with a gentle smile.

"Yeah..." you said softly wiping away your tears. "Thank you, Betty."

"No problem," she smiled. "People can be cruel, and as long as you shine brighter than them, then you win. So, smile, and know you are better than they could ever dream to be."

The smallest slither of a smile crept onto your face, glad that you had a good friend like Betty.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by