Eric Coulter- Looks (h)

Divergent One Shot

You knew that you would always remember the look on your parents' faces when you chose Dauntless over Amity.

They were shocked and looked at you as if you were no longer theirs, your father couldn't even bear to look at you as he turned away.

Of course, knowing that you had hurt your family wasn't a nice feeling but you needed to do what was right for you.

You weren't prepared to live out your life in a faction where you weren't happy. You were not going to subject yourself to a life of misery, just to keep your parents on your side.

When you found yourself having to jump down that hole, you were scared but you were determined to prove yourself to those that looked down on where you had come from.

The training stage then came, and you were far from prepared.

You had never had to fight anyone before, it wasn't as if it was encouraged back home but you had been told to practically forget where you came from – to focused on what was going to be ahead of you.

It had been a while since the rest of the transfers had left the training room, but you were still sat in there as you tried to process everything that had been taught to you that day.

"Why are you still in here?" Eric's voice coming from behind you caused you to jump.

Eric was one of the leaders and you found yourself not being intimidated by him, despite what everyone else thought.

"I asked you a question," he stated as he stood in front of you.

"I didn't know it was a crime to be sat in here."

Your words clearly had an effect on him. "It's not," he stated. "But why are you not with the rest of the transfers, having dinner and going out to enjoy yourself."

You laughed lightly as you got up. "This might not come as a shock to you Eric, but the people that transferred don't exactly like me," you explained to him. "And besides, I'd rather be here so I can get a better chance of staying in the place rather than failing the training."

He nodded in understanding and crossed his arms. "How about I help?"

His offer of help shocked you. Eric was never the type of person to offer help to anyone, let alone a transfer that should be helping themselves.

"Y/N?"

"I thought you didn't help anyone.

He chuckled. "I help those that deserve it. And you are the only transfer that deserves it."

From then on, you and Eric had grown closer than you ever thought you would and his help and training had meant that you were second from the top in the ranks.

Some of the transfers hated you even more for having help from Eric, but you didn't care, it wasn't their business and they should at least put the effort in.

It had come to the day for visits from families.

You weren't expecting for your parents to turn up, after the looks on their faces at the choosing ceremony it was doubtful that they'd ever want anything to do with you again.

Nevertheless, you went to the hall where the families were all going to be and Eric was stood not too far away as he knew what had happened with your parents.

As you were stood in the hall, you saw your parents approaching you so you put a smile on your face.

When they reached you, they looked you up and down and the look on your mother's face was enough to know she disapproved of the outfit.

"What do you think you are wearing?" she quizzed you, in a stern tone.

"These great inventions called clothes Mother."

She glared at you, as did your Father.

"You do not talk to your Mother that way," he told you as he crossed his arms.

You sighed. "Why are you even here? I thought the looks you gave me at the choosing ceremony were enough."

Your mother scoffed. "We came to see what a disgrace you had become."

Just as you went to answer, you felt a hand on the small of your back and Eric cleared his throat.

"I would apologise for the interruption, but I am not going to stand by and see one of my best transfers be insulted by her parents."

Your father looked at Eric with a look of disgust. "And who are you?"

"I am a leader here," Eric stated. "And your daughter is one of the best transfers that we have had here in a long time. She deserves to be in this faction, and you are losing out by treating her that way."

Without saying anything else to them, Eric gently used his hand to move you away from your parents and out into the corridor.

You gently placed your hand on Eric's arm when you realised how angry he was.

"Whilst I am grateful, you didn't need to do that Eric."

He chuckled and shook his head. "I did need to do it, I wasn't going to stand there and let them treat you like that. You are your own person and they don't define you."

You smiled at him, and he pulled you into a hug.

When you stepped back, he was looking down at you with a trace of a smile on his face. "Be my girl?"

~*~

Written by Hannah