Dornaa- Orphaned (a)

World of Warcraft One Shot

"Help..." the small child's cries for help were ignored in the hustle and bustle outside of the auction house situated opposite of Stormwind's bank, the shouts of the auctioneers trying to barter off exotic gems and artefacts drowned out any hopes of the young girl trying to get somebodies attention as bread and cake salesman danced around her, sending the scents of fresh baked bread swirling through the crisp air. All these so-called heroes hastily walking around the city yet none of them could lend five seconds to a lost child so far from home, you knew that you could never take on any gigantic beast or world destroying dragon, but you could be this lost soul's saviour, you knelt down besides her and extended a hand.

"What is wrong young one?" She wiped her eyes with one of her cracked and ashy pale blue hands and tried hard not to cry anymore. "Come on, tell me what is wrong, it cannot be that bad?"

The little girl took your hand and guided you all the way out of the city, deep into the foreboding depths of Elwynn forest, a small shack appeared with broken windows and a door that swept off of its hinges, she crawled into the shack and a ray of light struck his face as it had not done in the city, revealing a girl obviously past scared and alone with dirt marks and grazes scattered around her face.

"Is this where you live?" She still did not respond and instead opened up a small trunk, revealing a small sack of silver and copper pieces and a pile of letters, she held one up to you, the parchment was tattered and torn and the writing was not in the common tongue.

"Ah..." You knew this was not going to be as simple as you thought, you pooled together the knowledge of speaking Draenie that you had collected from touring taverns and inns, they would only be simple sentences but at least it was something.

"What is your name?"

"Dornaa." Finally, some progress.

"What is wrong?" She held up one of the more recent parchments and pointed to the bottom, 'love, dad'. She then pointed up to the top, the date was almost two weeks ago, you took the parchment from her hands, holding it carefully as you worried the slightest twitch would cause it to crumble in your hands, most of it was gibberish to you, but you made a fair bit of it out.

'Dear Dornaa,

Something has happened, and I do not know what, there are screams... are numbers are dwindling... I hope help is on the way...take these, they are all I have, hopefully they will do... may the blessings of the Naruu forever guide you'.

You lowered the page to see tears now streaming down the girl's face, she clutched at her head and held a very distressed photograph in his hand of a very proud looking soldier and a beautiful, elegant metal worker. You pointed at the soldier, the girl just shook his head, pointing at her mother gave the same result, your heart sank. Scouting around the inside of the shack you knew that no child should have to live in these conditions, even if most of Stormwind still considered her an outsider.

"Come child, I will take care of you, you have lost a great deal, maybe some cake would help?"

The small girl nodded and smiled, it was a very small, very subtle smile, but It was a smile, maybe the life of travelling from place to place was what she wanted? But at least you knew that you could keep her fed and a roof over her head.

~*~

Written by Aaron.