Nick Valentine- Prejudice (c)

Fallout 4 One Shot

Little thought was given to you in determining the difference between synths and humans. You saw it in the same vein as gender, sexuality or race; they make us unique, but no one should be treated as a lesser person due to them. Within the Commonwealth, synths weren't nearly as respected as anyone else, especially with them looking more and more like humans. As long as they respected you, you respected them, the same philosophy you followed when it came to anyone, not everyone was as kind.

Diamond City was supposed to be a safe place, but there must be a small print that you didn't see when it came to synths and ghouls. Ghouls weren't even allowed within the city limits, synths however were allowed in, but it didn't mean they'd be treated like people.

Nick had lived in Diamond City since you had. He was a Gen 2 Synth, which equally had its pros and cons. Granted people didn't fear the fact they couldn't tell if he was a synth or not as unlike Gen 3, it was pretty clear, however as synths became further developed, it came into question the rights of earlier generations such as Nick. You couldn't care which generation of synth he was. He was a dear friend of yours, having helped you with some sticky business, some years back when no human would even give you a second look, so you weren't going to abandon your friendship for other people's prejudice.

The two of you were heading to the market in the city before heading out into the Commonwealth. Diamond City Surplus was a place for everything you could need, it just sadly was run by an unpleasant human in the day. Myrna was stood at the front of her shop, a newspaper in her hand.

"Myrna," you stated, so she knew you were there, and looking to have business.

"Y/N... and synth," she frowned. "I will not serve you until he leaves."

You rolled your eyes. "And why is that?"

She threw her newspaper down, putting her hands on her hips.

"He is a spy. People are disappearing and coming back as synths, I am not risking becoming the next, nor being seen talking to something like that."

Nick went to walk away, but you grabbed his coat sleeve, so that he'd wait with you whilst you finished the conversation.

"I'm taking my business elsewhere, as will most of the city. Everyone here has come to Nick at some point for help, they owe him, and they will pay up in standing by his side against a prejudice woman like yourself."

All Myrna did was tut as the two of you walked away from her shop.

"You didn't have to do that," he stated.

"I did. I don't want to give my caps to someone like that."

He let out a deep laugh as you walked on to the next shop.

"Thank you. Y/N. But how ever will either of us cope without half eaten cans of beans, and rusty old pistols."

You couldn't help but laugh too at the odd array of stuff the Diamond City Surplus sold.

"We'll just have to come by at night, Percy can hardly hold a prejudice over a synth. Circuit boards are the same no matter what they're in."

"I am truly grateful Y/N," he stated. "You are a good friend for standing up for me like that."

"No worries," you smiled softly. "I just wish I could do more. It's not fair that Synths and Ghouls are deemed second class citizens. Nothing is going to change."

He stopped walking turning to you with a stern expression.

"You do more than most. And I certainly can see a change. I've had more business than ever. People used to come in and refuse to talk to me, so would have to pass everything though Ellie, that hasn't happened since you've been helping everyone," he said. "Don't doubt yourself, you do more for people than you could ever imagine."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.