Ted Mosby- Care (h)

How I Met Your Mother One Shot

Watching someone you cared about go through heartbreak after heartbreak was never easy.

It was even worse when you were one of the ones that went through heartbreak because of him.

You and Ted had given a relationship a go when you first moved out to New York from the UK, a year long relationship wasn't easy to forget but Ted ended it with you for another girl.

The gang didn't think you were in the wrong, and kept you around because they'd become friends with you but being around them didn't help anything with Ted.

Of course, you still cared about him and that may not have been the best thing for you but ya couldn't let him go through everything he was going through.

Lily had told you that Ted had been broken up with by his most recent girlfriend, and you weren't too sure what to do with that information.

A part of you wanted to go and help him, but you were his ex-girlfriend.

The other part of you wanted to ward him off from being an idiot.

It wasn't a surprise to find Ted sat in the booth at MacLaren's.

He only looked up from the beer he had been nursing when you slid into the seat opposite him.

"I really didn't expect to see you here," he told you as he grasped the bottle.

"I wish I could say the same for you."

He tilted his head in confusion, causing you to shrug.

"You are a guy of habit Ted. Always have been, and most likely always will be. All of us know that when you get dumped, you come down here, nurse a couple beers for a few hours or so and then wander back up to your apartment."

He shook his head before taking a swig of beer. "Why do you care anyway? I left you."

You scoffed. "Oh, believe me. I remember. But you want to know why I'm here? I'm here to tell you to forget about that girl."

"So that I'll get back together with you?"

"No, you idiot," you stated with annoyance in your tone. "Because you are constantly setting yourself up to get dumped. Sure, I still care for you but not in the way I did before. You broke my heart Ted, but that doesn't mean I want to watch you constantly get yours broken."

He decided against answering you, taking another swig of his beer.

"As much as I hate to see you going through this. I'm not going to be able to help you. You've got to help yourself."

He scoffed, shaking his head at you. "There's nothing wrong with me Y/N."

"Keep telling yourself that."

He stayed silent for a few moments, staring down at his bottle, before turning his gaze back to you. "I'm never going to be better off alone though."

You shrugged, standing up and looking down at him. "Have you ever tried?"

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.