Lily Aldrin- Stray Dog (c)

How I Met Your Mother One Shot

As soon as you walked into your apartment, the strong odour of wet dog hit you in the face like a tonne of bricks. It was a revolting smell, and you couldn't stand it but worst of all, you didn't own a dog, so you couldn't imagine what was causing such a terrible stench to emit from your apartment.

Screwing up your face in disgust, you entered your apartment, closing the door behind you. Your assumption was Lily had been drenched in the rain, like you had, however why her rain sodden clothing smelt as bad as a stray dog in the rain, you had no idea.

"Lily?" You called out, taking off your damp coat and hanging it up before hanging up your umbrella.

"In the living room," she called out.

You kicked off your shoes in the hallway, making your way into the lounge to hopefully find the source of the smell.

"Why the hell does our apartment smell like a damp dog? Did you trail the rain in her and soak everything?" You shouted.

Lily didn't need to answer as you walked into the living room to see Lily sat on the sofa with a dog sat in front of her on the carpet. A brightly coloured towel wrapped around it, and Lily was rubbing it down to dry it out.

"Lily Aldrin, why the hell do we have a dog in our apartment?" You asked.

You knew she was an impulsive person, but you couldn't imagine she would bring home a dog. On more than one occasion you'd ended up with some of her kindergarten students staying the night as she volunteered to babysit them, but where the hell she found a dog from was beyond you.

"He was outside, I couldn't leave him there," she said softly.

"What do you mean he was outside? You just brought in a stray dog? Doesn't he have a tag?" You sighed.

"He was sitting out in the rain. How could I not take him in?" She said pouting at you. "He was on the steps outside without a tag, soaked in the rain, he needed some love and care."

"Lily," you sighed not sure how to berate her when she was doing something kind-hearted.

She gave you the puppy dog eyes that you always fell for, leading to the dog turning to you giving you the same stare.

"Please can we keep him?" She begged.

"We can keep him for now. But in the morning, you're putting out flyers for him. If no one claims him then we can think about keeping him," you stated.

You hadn't seen Lily grin so wide in a long time.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.