Chapter 1: Brother from another mother

Jaebum POV:

My mum was shouting at her boyfriend again so I just decided to sneak out of the house. I would go to my best friend Jonathan's house but I don't want to disturb his family time even though his parents say that I'm welcome anytime. I don't think they'll be pleased to see me at 10pm in the evening though, so I'll just walk around until I feel like going back home. I might be here all night.

It's quite dark and dangerous where I live especially at night time but I'm used to it now, this isn't the first time I have snuck out. The people of the night are always happy and laughing it makes me want to join them too but Jonathan always tells me to stay away from them because at his Church they call the people of the streets bad people.

"Hey JB!" One of the people of the street cooes as he stumbles towards me. He smells like alcohol as usual but has a massive smile on his face.

"Hello, why are you so happy?" I ask the man who won't stop smiling but he won't stop moving either.

"Because JB I can feel the ground moving it makes me giddy!" He laughs as he inhales his ciggeratte then smiles at me again. I really do love the people of the night, they are always so happy.

"Ignore him JB he is just high" a skinny boy with long hair approaches us. I have never seen this boy before but he looks the same age as me. What is he doing here at night time? Does he too enjoy being with the people of the night?

"How do you know my name?" I ask the boy who just looks at me with a smug look on his face. He doesn't seem very nice or welcoming or happy.

"You're the only boy that calls drunk and high crusty men 'the people of the night' silly" he laughs as he slaps his knee. But I don't understand the joke, is he trying to mock me or is he trying to make me laugh? I really don't like this kid. "My name is Mark by the way, you never asked"

"Because I didn't want to know" I respond making him slap his chest showing me that I have offended him but who does he think he is? Coming over to me and ruining my night, I was having fun until he showed up.

"JB! What are you doing out here this late?" I hear Jonathan's dad ask, I turn around and see him in his car looking at me concerned. He diverts his attention to Mark who just scratches his head then walks away. "Come on boy I'll give you a lift" he opens the car door from inside forcing me to run towards his car and sit in the front seat by him.

"Thank you Mr. Moore but I wasn't planning on going home anytime soon" I say to him as he drives concentrating on the road. I watch the cross on his mirror swing whilst listening to the gospel music booming from the radio. Mr. Moore works at the Church and helps young children keep off the streets that's why he always finishes work late.

"Its ok JB just sleep around our house but stay away from that boy... he is very dangerous" he tells me as he parks his car in his garage. I get out of his car and follow behind him as he opens his house door.

"Daddy!" I hear Jonathan shout then followed by stomping as he runs down the stairs. "JB!" he shouts at my face as soon as he sees me then pulls me into a tight hug. I really do love hanging out with Jonathan, he is the brother I have never had.

"You shout way too loud" I push him off me.

"That's the whole point of shouting" he rolls his eyes at me then punches my shoulder causing me to punch his shoulder too and before we know it we are both on the floor throwing punches at each other.

"Honey! You can't let them fight!" I hear Mrs. Moore shout as she tries to pull me and Jonathan apart.

"But honey that's how they learn how to survive-"

"Survive from what Philip? They are only 9 years old" she cuts him off with her hands on her waist. I watch her in admiration, I have never seen a female figure stand her ground the way Mrs. Moore does, my mum doesn't stand her ground because she is always on the floor.

"Mum its ok me and JB are brothers so that means we are both strong" Jonathan beams making me smile too. 

"Fine. Go and sleep its way past your bed times" Mrs. Moore instructs before kissing Jonathan's forehead then mine, she smacks our bums making us rush up the stair giggling and panting. Jonathan's room is bigger than mine so big that both of us can fit but if he came to my house he wouldn't even be able to sit.

"Hey guess what?"

"What?" I ask him as I take off my jacket and begin to change into my pajamas. I always leave spare clothes at his house because I basically live here.

"I well I mean we aren't going to only be brothers anymore" he says whilst trying to hide his smile making me look at him confused.

"What do you mean?"

"We are going to be BIG BROTHERS!" he shouts then ruby tackles me to the ground. I push him off me then begin to brush my hair, I have never been a big brother before, I've never had to take care of someone else who isn't me or Jonathan. "Aren't you excited?"

"What if it doesn't like me?" I ask him whilst fiddling with my hands. He moves in closer to me and places his arm around my shoulder.

"Don't worry SHE will love having two brothers" he reassures me emphasising the 'she' I guess we are going to have a little sister. I'm going to treat her like a princess and make sure that she is always happy and smiling, she is definitely going to be beautiful because Mrs. Moore is very pretty.

"Don't worry Jonathan I'm going to be the best big brother well with you of course" I respond to him with a big smile on my face making him smile at me too.

"What should we name her?" he asks me as he scratches his head.

"Angel?"

"Nah, that's too basic 5 girls at Church already have that name" he shakes his head.

"Then I don't know" I shrug my shoulders before jumping into his bed. He gets into the bed with me and falls asleep straight away but me I don't sleep I just stare at the ceiling and think about what we are going to name our little sister and how I am going to treat her.