Chapter 10

My brother got in a car accident but he's okay how's ur night

----------------

The boy trudged out of his home, the hood of his sweatshirt pulled over his head and covering part of his face. A backpack was slung over his shoulder as if he was going to school, but that wasn't for a few more weeks, and he was already dreading it.

It was Hell, so school was already meant to be bad, but the kids made it worse.

They weren't like humans, they didn't exploit your deepest, darkest secrets, nobody wanted to waste their time on finding those. No, no they were bad because all they made fun of was the outside. Down to every thread in your clothing, they judged it, because demons were shallow like that.

He made it to the underbelly of the bridge that separated the park from the woods. It was a wooden bridge, built long before he had been born, but it still stood proudly, looking nearly as good as the day it was built.

The boy burrowed into the small corner he had claimed as his own, squeezing through a small opening behind one of the support beams in order to get into the cave behind it. His cave.

He laid his bag on the smooth rock floor, leaving it there as he reached into one of the openings and pulling out a small battery-operated lantern.

Bringing it over to his bag, he pulled out a small sketchbook he had stole from some merchant downtown, as well as a few pencils in an old worn pencil case he had found somewhere in his basement.

He also pulled out a journal, jotting down a few notes inside before shoving it back in his bag and returning his attention to the sketch book.

Until he heard a scream come from outside, followed by a splash. He flinched, slightly curling up into a ball for a few seconds before he remembered he wasn't at home.

Standing up, he went over to the entrance of his cave and peered out, spotting a soaking wet boy clawing his way out of the river. Evan had never seen him before.

Evan debated in his head for a few seconds before squeezing out and meeting the boy at the riverbed.

"Hi." He said, his voice small and quiet due to his anti-social nature.

The boy looked at him curiously, his head moving up and down as he inspected the boy, sending slight shivers down Evan's spine. He may have made a mistake.

Luckily, the boy brightened. "Hi! I'm Craig. Quick question, can you hide me?"

Evan didn't know what to say. "Uh, I don't-"

"No, it's because I was playing hide and seek with my friends and I planned to just climb underneath the bridge but I fell. But I didn't even know you were here, so can you please hide me?" The boy was begging, his eyes constantly darting in different directions to avoid being caught.

Evan could relate to the feeling the boy felt at that moment, although in a much more serious tone. But, nonetheless, Evan saw it as a chance to make a friend, which was good.

He softly nodded. "Yeah, sure, follow me."

Evan took a deep breath as he led Craig to his secret little cave, both of them slipping inside with ease.

He walked over to where he left his belongings and sat down, picking up the sketchbook and shoving it into his bag. He didn't notice Craig walk up and sit in front of him.

Suddenly, the boy's face appeared in front of his, causing Evan to jump up in fear, falling backwards at the same time, slightly shaking. Craig frowned.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He said, his voice apologetic, Evan didn't believe it. Demons weren't nice.

"I-it's okay." He stuttered, becoming embarrassed as he finished putting his pencils away. "I-I'm Evan, by the way."

The two might as well know each other if they were going to be in the cave for a while.

"Evan." Craig let the name roll off his tongue, testing it out as if he was wondering if it was the right name for the demon in front of him. "I like that name." His bright green eyes met Evan's dark brown ones, mischief meeting misery.

"T-thanks, I guess." Evan cursed himself for continuing to stutter.

Craig noticed this time. "I'm sorry, I'm being a bit too forward, aren't I? I do that sometimes, why don't you tell me about yourself? Then I'll tell you about me." The young demon suggested, earning a wary nod from Evan.

"Well, I start school in a few weeks, I like horror movies, drawing, and, um, I don't really have any friends."

"Oh! I start school in a few weeks too! I like action movies and hanging out with my friends! Which includes you now!" Craig said brightly, confidence practically spilling out of him. Already, he was way cooler than Evan.

"We've only known each other for a few minutes...." Evan trailed off, his social awkwardness leaving him speechless.

"Well, yeah, but you're cool. I mean, you really don't look like the type to talk to someone like me, but you did! Not to mention you showed me your sweet hideout, which I promise not to tell anyone about! So yeah, you're my best friend."

"But, don't you have another best friend?" Evan felt a panic attack just moments away.

"Well, yeah, but he's a dick, you're nice, but you also look tough, and a bit scared which is totally understandable-Whoa, are you okay?"

Evan began to hyperventilate, his breath eventually catching in his throat as he began to shake. He was having a panic attack.

"Oh, I'm sorry! This is my fault, isn't it? Shit, what do I do? Oh! Hey! Just breathe, okay? In, out, in, out, that's it, just breathe in and out, okay? In, out, in, out, in, and out, there ya go." Craig said, a part of him wanting to hug the boy while another told him not to, he had a feeling that Evan wouldn't appreciate it.

In a few minutes, Evan had calmed down and began to apologize to Craig, who he was sure he had burdened already.

"Ev, its fine, really. I shouldn't have been so straight forward, but you're still my best friend. No matter what." Craig held up his pinky, trying to make a promise to the boy who was wiping away a few tears that had appeared.

"No matter what?" Evan liked the sound of that, the thought that no matter what, he would always have a friend to support him, it was comforting. He too held up his pinky. "Promise?" Once again, his voice sounded small and quiet.

"Promise." Craig met Evan's eyes once again.

Mischief meeting misery.