Chapter 43

Blood stained the wooden flooring, creating a swimming pool of red around the human's body. Evan fell to his knees, landing in the middle of crimson, waves splashed at his clothes, wetting the legs of the jeans he wore. His hands shook tremendously as he took the dead boy's hand.

"S-Scott."

Evan woke up with a jump, his heart beating out of his chest as he looked around in confusion. He then remembered the pillow fort and the movies and the kisses and- Scott. His heart fell as he looked besides him and saw no one, fear held him in their cold arms. "S-Scott?" No answer. "Scott!" He was frantic, his heart beat heightened with every passing second. "Scott!" He called again, hyperventilating.

"Evan? Evan!" Scott rushed towards the boy, dropping his stuff in the front entrance as he entered the apartment. He crouched down beside him, holding him and telling him it was okay. "I'm right here, right here, Ev."

Evan held onto Scott tightly, still breathing heavy. "Never leave me." Is all he can say as his thoughts race around his head at high rates. Scott just holds him.

"I won't, Evan, I'll never leave you. I promise."

----

The brothers waved bye to Scott as they drove away in Craig's car, leaving Scott on the sidewalk just outside the apartment building. Evan smiled to himself as comfortable silence fell between him and Craig. "You certainly look happy." Craig side smiles at Evan, keeping his eyes on the road although he spares a glance at his brother. "Things with Scott are going well then?"

"I love him, Craig. He's so amazing." Evan continues to smile to himself. "I never thought humans could be so wonderful." He looks out the window, lost in thought.

"You deserve it, Evan. After the way the world has been treating you, you deserve this." He places a comforting hand on Evan's leg. "I'm glad you're finally happy."

"You too," Evan said, looking ahead at the road, his eyes following a few of the cars that passed by them. "You have Tyler. Ever since high school, you've had Tyler. And now, I have Scott. We both are happy, Craig, not just me." He pauses. "You are happy, right?"

"Of course, Evan. I just am especially happy that you're happy. I've always wanted you to be happy, Evan. May not have seemed like it, since I was always making you do things that you didn't want to do, but I always wanted you to be happy."

"I am happy, Craig." Evan smiles, memories of the night before filled his head. Blankets and cuddles and movie and kisses and popcorn and happiness. "I really am."

---

"Hey Scott." Jonathan smiles as Scott opens his apartment door, his hair messed up after Evan had ran his hands through it earlier to calm himself down. His shirt wrinkled from Evan holding onto it so tightly. "Long time no see."

Scott returns with a tight, almost forced smile, thinking back to everything that Evan had told him a couple of days before. "Very true, Jon, so what brings you here? If you came to hit on my boyfriend again, you might be interested to know that he isn't here." He invites Jonathan inside.

"Oh, I'm not here to talk to Evan." Jonathan turns back to Scott as he closes the door, he smiles. "I'm here to talk to you."

---

The apartment door creeks open, Smitty grumbling to himself as he saw that the lights were left off. "Freaking Scott, if him and Evan were going to sleep the whole day the least he could do is keep the lights-" he gasped, his key falling to the ground as he tried to take in the sight in front of him.

Scott lay on the wooden flooring, surrounded by crimson and scarlet hues that stained the fabric of his white cotton t-shirt. There was a hole in his chest where the blood had originated. Evan was no where to be found, but the broken glass near Scott's body told him everything that he needed to know.

Smitty had never felt so scared.