Chapter 19

It was the day of the party, and Jonathan felt nervous as he got ready in his room with Evan sitting on his bed.

"Is this okay?" Guilt filled his stomach as he showed the outfit to his boyfriend, he didn't know why. Maybe it was because he had basically tricked him into letting him go, or maybe it was the fact that him and parties had anything but good history.

Evan glanced up from his phone, giving Jonathan a quick once-over before returning his attention to the small screen.

"It looks fine." He replied bluntly, typing in a few words before proceeding to scroll. Honestly, he could care less about what the boy was wearing; the feeling in his stomach told him everything he needed to know about the party.

But, he could still hope.

Jonathan brushed off Evan's carelessness; it wasn't like he was acting out of the ordinary, tensions were almost always high between the two.

Satisfied, Jonathan walked into his closet to get a jacket. When he walked out he was met with Evan almost directly in his face, like his boyfriend knew he had to leave.

Evan kissed him, almost immediately Jonathan wrapped his arms around him while Evan hung his arms around his neck.

They pulled away, still wrapped in each other's arms, but Jonathan could sense sadness in Evan's expression.

"You're not gonna do anything stupid, right? Not this time?" It was about the tenth time Evan had asked, and each time it broke Jonathan's heart a little more while also filling it with dread and guilt.

Jonathan gently pushed Evan's head towards his chest, resting his chin on top. "I promise, Evan, nothing stupid. Just try to get some rest, and when you wake up tomorrow, I'll be right next to you." He promised, regretfully letting go of the hybrid, secretly hoping that it wouldn't be the last time.

So much could wrong tonight, he thought to himself as he smiled at Evan and walked out the door, his boyfriend leaving as well but instead going to his own room.

He waved goodbye to everyone else as he walked out the door, immediately recognizing Zach's car. He smiled, pushing his worries to the back of his head.

Tonight was going to be fun, and tomorrow everything will be the exact same way.

Right?

------------------

Evan didn't go downstairs with his friends until Jonathan had been gone for at least three hours. He wouldn't have gone, but his anxiety about what his boyfriend was doing was bothering him too much. He needed his friends to calm him down.

"Hey Ev, I thought you would be asleep. You look like you need it." Craig said, noticing that his brother had quietly slipped downstairs.

Evan shook his head. "Can't sleep. Too worried." He rubbed his eyes, showing how tired he was.

"Aww, Evan, it's gonna be okay, don't worry. If Jonathan dares to pull something again, he'll be very sorry." Marcel jokingly cracked his knuckles.

Evan could only produce a small laugh. "Thanks, but that doesn't help." The hybrid settled onto an empty chair to the right of the couch, resting his head on the armrest. He closed his eyes. "Can you guys just talk about something completely random? Just until I fall asleep?" It was mumbled, but the guys understood.

Somehow, the group had gotten into an argument about which brand of gum lasted longest. Evan had fallen asleep about twenty minutes into it, but it was so in-depth that no one noticed until they were about done.

"Look guys, he's asleep!" Tyler pointed out, sitting down once his flavor was ruled out of the comparison.

"Aw man, I was really enjoying that discussion." Brian pouted, sad that he would never know if his flavor was the best.

"C'mon, why don't we continue upstairs? If we wake him up now, he'll never get back to sleep." Craig suggested, standing up from the couch. He didn't use gum, so naturally he had stayed out of the argument, silently rooting Tyler on while also rooting for Brian.

"Nah," Marcel yawned. "Why don't we finish tomorrow? I'm tired."

As soon as he said that, the rest of the friends let out a yawn of their own.

"Damnit Marcel, why did you do this to us?" David joked as he made his way to the stairs, the others following behind him.

"Guys, shut up!" Craig hissed, motioning to Evan, who was still sound asleep.

"Sorry." Marcel and David mumbled, beginning to climb the stairs.

-------

Evan was woken up by the sound of the front door closing. He was about to lift his head to see who it was when he heard giggling. Two sets of it.

His heart dropped before he even recognized who it was, and once he had, he swallowed a sob that was trying to escape.

It was Jonathan, and some girl. He could hear her purse crash into the couch.

"This nice is place." She said in a normal volume voice- although she was clearly drunk-only to be shushed by Jonathan, who didn't sound as drunk.

Practically sober. There was no excuse.

"Be quiet or else you'll wake up my friends." He hissed at her, breaking Evan just a little bit more. "Come on, let's head upstairs." That shattered him.

Luckily, Jonathan had taken the girl up to his own bedroom, rather than Evan's. Still, that didn't make Evan feel better as he heard soft crashes and his senses became heightened all of a sudden. It was a bad time for his out of control hybrid abilities to work.

Evan didn't need to be inside the room to know what had happened, or rather, what was happening. The soft moans he could hear were enough to him, joined by quiet creaking curtesy of the bed springs.

He felt sick, but he didn't have the motivation to move.

But, he did reach for a pillow off the couch, which he held over his face to muffle the cry he had to let out or else he would explode.

"H-he promised." Was all Evan could say as he clutched the pillow to his chest, screwing his eyes shut as he heard soft snores come from his boyfriend and the girl upstairs.

A thought ate at him in the back of his head, telling him he needed to get up and go to his room before he fell back asleep. He didn't want the guys to walk downstairs and see him like this, when Jonathan would be shut in his room trying to get rid of the girl he brought home.

He didn't know how he found the motivation to go through with the plan, but somehow he ended up his room with his door locked as leaned against the door, letting himself slide down.

Evan curled up into a ball, his knees pressed against his chest at an awkward angle but he could honestly care less.

He broke down, feeling all the emotions from four years ago begin to resurface as he realized what was happening. He had just got played for the second time, by the same damn person.

Evan knew that it was going to happen, but that made it hurt more, to know that he was so desperate to think it would better this time around that he pushed all his doubts away and still dated him.

And once he had calmed down, now staring blankly at the contents of his dark room, sleep was the farthest thought from his mind.

Tears no longer flowed, but his breath remained uneven, heartbroken sounds still lay trapped in his throat as he realized his senses were still enhanced, and he didn't have the right mental state to fix it.

So, with every shaky breath he took, he heard a peaceful one from down the hall, leaving his boyfriend's lips as he slept next to someone who wasn't him. Wrapped his arms around someone who wasn't him. And would definitely wake up next to someone that wasn't him.

Merry fucking Christmas.