Chapter 20

Yes I did accidentally publish an unfinished chapter but let's not talk about that

--------

He was still awake when Jonathan softly knocked on his door at five in the morning, the front door opening and closing quietly beneath him. Evan still lay in front of the door, holding his breath as he went against every instinct in his body.

He would not open that door.

"Ev? Ev, are you awake?" Jonathan didn't sound guilty, Evan almost wanted to throw open the door and bury his head in his chest. Pretend that none of this ever happened, but it did.

Maybe Evan really was that gullible, that pathetic, that he couldn't realize that if someone cheated on you once, they were bound to do it again.

Yeah, he decided, he was that gullible and pathetic.

His boyfriend knocked five times before going back to his room. As soon as he heard the door close with a click, Evan let himself breathe, feeling all his earlier emotions begin to make a return.

He wanted Craig to be there, like he had been last time, but Evan was too scared to wake him. He had already bothered him with enough problems, cried too many times on his shoulder. He also didn't know where his phone was.

Uneven breaths had decided to make a comeback, and he could barely hear someone down the hall wake up, causing him to try his hardest to quiet down. He was fine, he was totally fine as long as no one found him.

The door of the bathroom closed, Evan let out a shaky breath. A few minutes later, it opened, followed by a muffled yawn.

Evan knew it was Craig, and he knew that Craig thought something was up when his footsteps halted a few feet from the door.

Please, Evan thought, just go back to sleep. He was going back on his earlier wish for his brother's comfort.

A soft knock followed his thought, and anxiety washed over him as he heard the demon's voice.

"Ev? Is everything okay? I know you're awake, and I have the key to this room." Damnit, Evan had forgotten this was Craig's house for a few seconds.

"I'm fine. Just trying to go back to sleep." Evan was so thankful that his voice sounded normal, although it was quite tired.

"Is Jonathan in there?" It warmed Evan's heart a little bit to know that Craig was worried about him.

"No, I sent him back to his room because he smelled like alcohol." It wasn't the truth, but it wasn't a lie. Why couldn't Craig just go back to sleep?

--

Craig knew. Not everything, but he knew something had happened, and Evan was upset about it.

He sat in front of the door, leaning his back against it.

"You don't have to talk about it, Ev, but just know I'm right here."

He heard the hybrid let out a breath on the other side of the door; it sounded uneven and broken, but he didn't ask. Just leaned his head back and shut his eyes as he quietly heard his brother begin to cry on the other side of the door.

Craig was already beginning to hate ever meeting Jonathan.

---

"Craig? Why were you sleeping outside of Evan's door?" Tyler asked as he shook his boyfriend awake. Luckily, everyone else was still sleeping.

Craig yawned, rubbing his eyes and stretching out his neck as he realized he had fallen asleep.

"Shh, don't question it, babe." Was all he said as he stood up and gave him a peck on the cheek. "We were just talking." He stretched out his arms with another yawn.

Remembering why he had been there, he listened for Evan on the other side; the slow breathing told him that he had finally gotten some rest.

"Come on," Tyler said. "You know I can't cook for the life of me."

Craig smiled, following the human downstairs, enjoying whatever parts he could of the day before Evan woke up. Something was going to happen, he could feel it.

----

It was 2pm, everyone was up and about except for Evan, and Craig couldn't help but feel suspicious, and sympathetic.

What could have happened that Evan would be so hurt?

"Jonathan, what did you do?" It was a pretty generic question, and the guys didn't question it as Craig eyed Jonathan skeptically.

The human looked offended. "N-nothing! Evan could just be tired, you know!"

That stutter. Craig didn't trust that stutter. But, he let it go, because Evan would expose him later.

---

Jonathan felt conflicted. He'll admit, he only had two drinks, and he was fully aware of what he was doing last night.

But, he didn't know that Evan knew, he thought that Evan was going through something last night and didn't want to talk.

That was partially the case, but Jonathan didn't know that he was the cause of it, he had no idea that Evan knew what he did.

He thought that Evan would wake up, and hug him, give him a kiss, act like he usually did while Jonathan felt guilty. It wasn't like last time, this time, he really did feel sorry.

He had broken his promise, of course he had, something just had to go wrong, didn't it?

---

Evan always knew it was going to happen, that the party was going to make sure their already unsteady relationship crash and burn. He knew.

Because he called him. Two hours after they left, he called him.

"Hello?" It was a voice that wasn't Jonathan's, but Evan didn't immediately begin to worry.

"Uh, who is this?" Evan needed to know.

"Oh, it's Jonathan's friend Zach, um, you're his boyfriend, right? Well, of course you are, the caller ID has your name with a heart next to it."

Damn, Evan didn't expect the guy to be so damn likable.

"Where is Jonathan?" There was silence from Zach on the other side, muffled party noises being the white noise.

"I'll tell you what I know. We got here, he got a beer, handed me his phone and told me to take care of it. Honestly, he told me to ignore any call that came from you, but obviously I didn't. I haven't seen Jonathan in a good hour, but when I saw him last he was talking to a bunch of girls. I'd say you have nothing to worry about, but if he told me not to answer this call, I'm not so sure."

Evan decided right then and there. This man was going to Heaven.

"T-thanks for telling me." He found it hard to say.

"I'm so sorry, dude." Zach sounded genuine, and he believed him, he really did.

But it still hurt last night, when Evan woke up and everything came crashing down. All his fears became reality.

A part of him wishes he had fell asleep in his bed, because then he wouldn't have woken up, and Jonathan could have been there when he woke up. Everything would be fine, at least to Evan.

But, he knew this was probably for the best.