Chapter 16

I think I'm gonna go for updates every Monday and Friday.

--------------

"I'm not being unreasonable, right? All I want is for him to just, get it. Is that too much to ask?" Evan was anxious, his body was tense, despite how safe he felt next to the demon.

They didn't know where they were walking, but Craig knew that Evan needed to cool off, and it was better that he wasn't alone.

"No, of course not, Jonathan needs to care about you too, Ev. Not just himself." Craig said easily, glancing towards the other side of the street.

Evan sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "Yeah, that's true, but I don't know. Maybe I'm just letting my feelings get the best of me with this whole party thing. He'll be fine, right?" Evan was trying to be hopeful, and he looked at Craig expectantly.

"Stop that." The demon snapped.

"Stop what?" Evan didn't know what Craig wanted.

"Doubting yourself. You're letting him get into your head, and it's working because of the whole hybrid thing."

"I always doubt myself, I don't know if you noticed." Evan was sarcastic, trying to not let his brother's words get to him. "And the hybrid thing, well, I just don't know."

"I know that, Ev. But, you just need to think back to when we lived in Hell, be that guy. Because that was one hundred percent you."

Bitter laughter built up in Evan's throat. "I don't think I can be that guy, Craig. Too much has happened, I can't let myself fall back into those habits, it'll destroy me."

"It's going to destroy you if you keep going like this. The mood swings, the self-doubt, the fights you've been having with Jonathan, it's not healthy for you."

"I don't know what healthy is for me anymore, Craig. I'm too far gone."

--------------------------

"How are you still standing here? Hasn't my personality driven you away yet?" Self-deprecation was usually a good way to get rid of an angel. They didn't want to catch your bad mood.

"I'm a bit more tolerant than the others. I've been in your position before. Except I was just a full-fledged demon."

He was lying, I knew he was. But I was so lonely and he actually seemed somewhat relatable. His wings appeared, they were white.

"Why are your wings white? If you used to be a demon?"

He smiled with amusement. "Because that's what happens, silly. Right now you're a hybrid, but once you turn twenty four here in Heaven you'll become a full angel, and if you had turned twenty four in Hell you'd be a full demon."

It clicked. Everything clicked. Why everyone here wanted me to stay so bad. They wanted to keep me here until I was one of them.

"So, I wouldn't be a hybrid?" It sounded a bit too good to be true, minus the fact that I would have to be an angel forever.

He shook his head. "No, not technically, you'd be a full angel, although you would still have the power to give in to demonic tendencies. So, you could still swear and get angry, but other than that you'd be an angel."

I could have the white wings, the fame, the glory, I could have everything that everyone here is expecting me to have.

But, is that what I want? To be stuck here in Heaven? To become something I've hated all my life just so I can be left alone? Is it worth it?

I shook my head, now, what he as saying was absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't live my life as an angel, it would feel two wrong. If I can't be a demon, then I'll live with being a hybrid.

"No." I stood up, walking away. "That's just bullshit, it's not worth it to be some fucking perfect celestial."

"Hey, it's not so bad. I still remember Hell, we can reminisce on our times there whenever you want." He also stood up, walking towards me. I tested him.

"Did you love it?" I wanted an answer, I needed to know what the hell was going to happen to me if I stayed. "Did you love Hell as much as I did? Does it still feel like home?"

His eyes got lighter, it was an angel thing I guess. I wasn't sure what was happening, but I knew it couldn't be good, this wasn't the answer I wanted.

"No, of course not. It was Hell, it was gross and awful, this is my home now." His voice sounded so genuine, and fake. Bullshit.

"Yeah, maybe Hell is gross, maybe I didn't have the best life there, but it's still home, and this place is still disgusting." A plan began to form in my head. I can't stay here, I need to get out.

He lunged at me, I thought he was going for the throat, so I swung my fist at his jawline, knocking him to the ground.

"You're stupid." He said. "Fighting against what you truly are, you think you're special because you're a hybrid, but you'll come to realize that this is a blessing, and that demon stuck in your head is a curse. You don't want it there, you don't want to go back."

"That's where your wrong, Jay, I'd go back in a heartbeat, this place is a nightmare. That demon stuck in my head, is the only thing keeping me from ripping out your intestines. It's the only thing I have left of home, my real home. I'm leaving here, and no one is going to stop me."