Chapter 38

"I'm worried about Evan." Craig admitted as he drove back home, his boyfriend in the passenger seat as they pulled out of the hotel parking lot.

They had spent the night at Evan's place, and Craig knew that Jonathan had the intentions of making a move, but Evan had been sleeping in his room, so nothing happened.

"Why? He looks pretty happy, possibly the happiest I've ever seen him." Tyler observed, keeping his eyes on the road even though he didn't need to.

"I don't know," Craig began, turning on his blinker. "I just feel like something's off with him. You know? Like that weird brotherly connection, I really don't know. There's just something he's not telling me."

"There's something he's not telling everyone, Craig. You just have to accept that. He's making his own decisions, he's being a person, just let him be, don't you think he's happy? He's got his own place, he has us as his friends, you're supporting him in everything he does, and he has an amazing boyfriend. If he's not telling you something, so what? You know more about him than any of us, even Jonathan! After everything that happened, we still barely know him."

"I guess you're right, but I just can't shake the feeling that something's wrong."

"Something is always wrong, Craig. That's just how life is. I don't know how it is in Hell, but on Earth, there is always at least one thing wrong, but we ignore it and continue on."

Something clicked in Craig's head, causing him to tilt it in thought. "Maybe he's homesick."

"Are you just ignoring everything that I'm saying?" Tyler rolled his eyes as Craig shrugged besides him.

"What else is a boyfriend for?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe love and affection."

"That doesn't sound right." Craig joked as he leaned over and pecked Tyler's cheek. "I love you."

---

"You can do this." Evan tried to hype himself up as he looked into the bathroom mirror, trying to make eye contact with his reflection. "Just say it, it's not that hard."

Evan had made a very courageous, not to mention stupid, idea.

He wanted to tell Scott the truth about himself, about how he was a hybrid and Craig was a demon and the whole shebang, despite the consequences it could have.

Evan honestly really liked Scott, but he didn't want to live his whole life lying to him, he wanted to tell him the truth before their relationship got too serious and it was too late for him to back out.

He took a deep breath as he heard the door bell ring. "That must be him."

-

Evan took a deep breath before opening the door, groaning as he saw who was on the other side.

"What do you want?"

"That's no way to talk to your friend." Jonathan replied with a smile as Evan let him inside.

"Sorry, I was just expecting it to be Scott, I have something to tell him-"

"You're breaking up with him?"

"Lucifer, no! I just wanted to tell him about the whole demon/angel thing, you know?"

Jonathan's interest was immediately caught. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Every time I think I'm doing good, one of you shit heads just ruins it."

"Sorry, but I'm just thinking of the consequences, you really like him right? What if this ruins your relationship?" He pretended to not see his ex pale besides him as he continued. "Remember when you told us? We barely trusted you to get us out alive, hell we nearly died."

"B-but, everything worked out then-"

"Evan, you know everyone is still low key scared of you guys, right? There are certain things we can't say around you guys because you would actually kill us-"

"Why did you actually come over?" Evan shook his head, trying to rid himself of all the negative thoughts he was having.

"I thought we should really talk about everything that happened. We never really did."

"I'm listening."

"Look, I know I fucked up, okay? Like big time. I know you still hate me, and that you're over me, and I'm trying to get over you since you seem so happy with Scott. I just, I just want us to be friends again, okay? That's all I'm asking for, to be friends." Jonathan smiled at the hybrid.

"How do I trust that?" Evan was cautious in meeting Jonathan's eyes. "What if you're just trying to get into my head so you can win me back?"

"Evan, I'm not doing that, I swear. If I was, would I come over here and not make a move? Would I come over here and try to help you not completely fuck up your relationship? Trust me, I've fucked up plenty of relationships, and it sucks. It will haunt you every waking moment, you will never get over it. I'm just trying to help you."

Evan's shoulders slouched as Jonathan stood up, the hybrid subconsciously began to bite at his lip rings, nerves creeping into his system.

"Lucifer, what if you're right? I could fuck everything up right now, after-I can't fuck this up."

It killed Jonathan that the hybrid had cut himself off, he wanted to know so much more about his ex. He continued to speak, sitting back down. "I know, Ev, I know. I'm just trying to help."

"But, I'm sick of lying to him, Jon, lying is wrong. I've been lied to before, I can't do it anymore."

Jon carefully wrapped an arm around him. "I know, Ev, but sometimes you need to tell an ugly lie to keep a beautiful truth."

"So, I shouldn't tell him?"

"Absolutely not."